Questions on HDMI sound out & DisplayPort & HDMI used together?

RyanRC

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hello all

Been a good amount of time, but I used to regularly be into computer parts and building machines years ago, but its been a long time since then so am not really up on all the exact latest.

So please forgive if this is all well known and simple question suff

Anyway, I want to replace my current DVI output PCI-e vid card with a 1080p HDMI unit, and go with a new HDMI computer monitor.

But also want to be able to run a HDMI over to my TV flat screen as I want to run a RC helo sim off the computer on it.

So one, is it by standard that if I get a card that has a HDMI out connection, via that port it will carry the sound with the vid signal too? An just out of curiosity if I run it through a AV receiver, will it put into that 5.1 SS sound if the sound source on my PC is of that? As well all other sound sources such as even 2.0 if that is what the file is?

On a second topic, as mentioned I want to run HDMI to two sources, but seems most of the cards if they have one HDMI out, don't have a second but a port called a DisplayPort, that even has a slightly dif plug.

So kinda what is the deal with this?

In other words, I get how I would probably just get the right plug, but one, the comp monitor I am looking to get while new just has HDMI ins, so if I were to run this port to that, do I need just get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapater? Note the monitor needs no sound.

So over all is this how I would do things would be to run the straight HDMI out of the card to my amp, then to my TV, and that will provide 2.0 to 5.1 to my amp, and then further 1080p (yes amp can pass that) to the TV?

Then as no sound but 1080p is required to the Comp monitor, get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and run that output to the monitor?

BTW the card I am looking to get is a PNY VCGGTX7602XPB: https://www3.pny.com/GTX-760-2048MB-PCIe-P3405C589.aspx

& Comp Monitor is Samsung LS22C300HS: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS22C300HS/ZA

Thanks for any help

Yes, HDMI to the AV receiver to the TV so you get the surround. A lot of games are encoded in surround so you'd get full 5.1 out of it. Then displayport to HDMI adapter to the monitor for no sound, but your picture on your monitor.

Most games also let you choose which monitor to run on now, so when you start the game it would automatically start on the TV as opposed to the monitor so you don't have to try to swap cables or mess with switching the game window around.

RyanRC

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Wow thanks so much for such a quick reply.

Yeah I was kinda thinking about that, in that and this is for not even games but just regular, which output is going to be the standard default, the HDMI port, or the DisplayPort?

Was thinking I could select/force one, but always less hassle to let the PC monitor be the default, then use the TV as the other.

But guess that even brings me to another question and I would suspect this could be quite hardware dependent, but typically with these new cards and drivers now, is getting both to run a big hassle?

Basically I know from things in the past and cards say to old TV's, it was like had to have either one or the other, and res switching was always iffy, most often the screen to the TV was off and other things would happen like it would not switch back unless you completely rebooted the machine.

But is that the old days and now can run either or at will and from either port and no big issues turning things on an off?

Thanks again.

Most times with newer cards the card will clone the boot-up, BIOS, etc to all available screens, so it doesn't matter which one is first. Then when Windows boots up you can set which one is the primary monitor.

there is also a great little tool called "make primary monitor" or something like that, that puts a shortcut on each displays desktop and lets you click it to make that one the main display. Sometimes games don't let you pick the monitor or you want to game on the PC one day, the TV the next, rather that switching the game, run the shortcut, done. Also good if you want to use the PC on the TV and have all your main shortcuts, start button etc on the TV, then switch back to the PC.

RyanRC

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Gotcha, well again, thanks so much for the help.

I wonder about one other thing, currently my setup is I have a soundlblaster card feeing my Comp speakers.

Pretty much will have to leave things for that this way two.

All in all I wonder how the system will handle this...will it output sound from both my SB card, as well as sound out via the HDMI to the AV amp/TV line?

Would very much speculate there are just to many variable to ask anyone here if that is going to work OK or if I am going to have issues.

Guess I will just have to try things an see what happens.

Well again, thanks so much for the help.

Well for sound, you can either switch the default audio device between the soundblaster or the HDMI via the video card depending on what device you are going to use.

yopu can do this from the control panel, or there are lots of tools that will let you have a shortcut/ tool tray icon/etc to switch it easily.

or a lot of games/apps let you pick the sound device, so the default is the sound blaster but you set VLC to use HDMI so when you play a movie it automatically goes through the hdmi. few different ways to do it.

RyanRC

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Yeah am familiar with what you are talking about, to bad it can't do both like two monitors, but I could think not being able to it would more the case.

So am just wondering then if anyone is really using the HDMI or DisplayPort out of the vid card for sound much at all, as I don't see how they could split the sound out of the cable and then to typical comp speaker jacks.

Are any monitors providing speaker out jacks?

Or it is this why many of the cards have a HDMI and DisplayPort terminals, as people are using some kind of one of those to speaker jack adapters?

Again, have been out of the PC game for a bit but have been into AV a good amount lately and in that I know getting sound isolated from a HDMI line is not terribly simple...or is it?