Warning! My experience with Gigabyte and how you can avoid it

Stormtrooper13

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hey guys,
I thought I'd share my experience to see if anyone has had the same experience with Gigabyte.
Here goes: I bought my Gigabyte Radeon Hd 7950 5 months ago and have been using it since then. No overclocking and it has been in pristine condition. The DVI port quit working randomly so I sent it to Gigabyte for them to repair it, since it was still under warranty.
After waiting two weeks for them to get back to me about the Gpu's status, they sent me a picture of the card and told me that the pcb was bent. Looking at the picture, the pcb was MAJORLY warped and it was not in the condition that I sent it in. Gigabyte told me that the warranty was voided because of this.
After calling and talking to a representative, they said that the damage could have been from shipping. I asked if they had any documentation or pictures of the shipping damage; they did not. I sent them pictures of the board that I had taken before I sent it to them, which showed that it was in perfect condition except for the malfunctioning DVI port. They replied to me and said that the pictures were not of the original board and that they were sending me back my broken board. I replied to them and I am still awaiting their response.
So far my experience has been: I bought a $300 GPU that had a malfunctioning DVI, sent it to get it fixed under warranty, and I am now receiving a bent and un-usable device. I thought I'd let you guys know so that you don't suffer the same experience as I have. Do you have any advice on what I can do to fight this, or any similar experiences?

Solution
As much as I hate to 'slander' a company like this, I've refused to by anything from Gigabyte since many years ago when one of their old LGA775 motherboards came to me with the northbridge physically ripped off by its epoxied heatsink in the box. Now, I don't know how the hell that's even possible... No way was it shipping damage, as the box was in perfect condition inside bubble wrap, and no amount of blunt force would tear a BGA chip off of its PCB. I tried to send it back, they blamed it on me, tried to charge me shipping both ways, and you can take it from there... I eventually got my money back, but that pretty much ended my relationship with anything Gigabyte. I don't have a single piece of hardware by them that is still in...
first off did you send the card with tracking and insurance. if you did start making a claim with the shipper. if the shipper does nothing you have to file a small claims with the shipper. (if you get the same card back) also if you used a credit card to pay for the card some of them extend the warranty or can help if you need to do a change back to get your money back.

seller417

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
i bought a gtx 560ti a few years back and had to return it several months later due to blue screens. i was sent a replacement after about 3-4 weeks. a couple months later i started having issues again and noticed that the fans were not turning on so again i sent it back and in 3-4 weeks i received my gpu back and it worked for a couple months before it started acting up again. i decided to not put myself through the return process again and went with a different brand (XFX) and no more problems. Gigabyte may make great products, but in my experience it is hit or miss with them.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
As much as I hate to 'slander' a company like this, I've refused to by anything from Gigabyte since many years ago when one of their old LGA775 motherboards came to me with the northbridge physically ripped off by its epoxied heatsink in the box. Now, I don't know how the hell that's even possible... No way was it shipping damage, as the box was in perfect condition inside bubble wrap, and no amount of blunt force would tear a BGA chip off of its PCB. I tried to send it back, they blamed it on me, tried to charge me shipping both ways, and you can take it from there... I eventually got my money back, but that pretty much ended my relationship with anything Gigabyte. I don't have a single piece of hardware by them that is still in functional condition... I run a Cyrix Cx486 with a 20+ year old VLB video card in perfect order - you can't just blame it on being old.

I've always viewed them as a second-tier manufacturer. If something is available from Asus, MSI, EVGA, or another company along those lines, I'll always go to them first. You shouldn't have to go through hell and back filing claims with different people just to get a problem fixed... look at G.Skill: I sent them a kit of dead 8GB ValueRAM and they sent me back an 8GB kit of RipJaws and shipping both ways, no questions asked whatsoever. They literally received it, determined it was in fact dead without cross-questioning, and sent a replacement all in the same day.
That's how things should be done. I lose my patience when a company does everything in its power to avoid using money to help you.

Solution

Stormtrooper13

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

I sent it via usps, have the tracking, however didn't buy insurance. (learned my lesson the hard way) I believe usps insures up to $50

Stormtrooper13

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

That is exactly how I feel, I will post a picture of what they sent me via email. The backplate was completely bent, but everything else including fans looked fine. I'm not one to slander either, but it really makes me believe that they attempted to pry it open to fix it and then deny me the warranty. People should know about it. A company needs to invest in consumer relations, their support is faulty and I can't talk to corporate in Taiwan due to my lack of linguistic skills. May I ask how you got your money back? Not that it's going to work for me.. I emailed them back saying that they will either fix or replace my gpu as it is covered by the warranty, and if not they need to give me contact to their corporate office or a supervisor. Still waiting to hear back, they better not have shipped the piece of junk back

Stormtrooper13

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/690/qbbm.jpg

Their exact words:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for the photos.
The photo does not match the card that we receive.
We attach photos detailing the differences.
The card will be return as is.

Thank you

Customer Service Center
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
TEL: 1-626-854-9338 op. 4
FAX: 1-626-854-9326
EMAIL: services@gigabyte-usa.com
http://www.gigabyte.us/

I will file the claim, and see what Gigabyte emails back to me

from that photo looks like they broke the card. in the image you can see that it burnt up...that someone powered the card on to melt it. if the card is that damaged i would file small claims agaist the video card warranty people and contact your credit card company for a charge back let them know the vendor smashed the card.

Stormtrooper13

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Ok thank you so much btw, you are a great help. I am filing the claim via usps right now. So I should file a claim with my credit card company as well? I bought the card through newegg 5 months ago

Stormtrooper13

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

I contacted my bank so we'll see how it goes. I appreciate all of your guys' input and help. I will keep you updated. I do not want this to happen to anyone else

Stormtrooper13

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I filed claims through my bank and usps. I called gigabyte again and finally got to talk to the "main" supervisor. They will not budge, they go from blaming me of sending a broken product to saying it could've been damaged in shipping even though the box looked fine according to them. I wrote a bad review on Newegg and gigabyte responded: Dear Customer, Thank you for your comments. We apologize for your difficulty with your GIGABYTE product. Please contact us at newegg-support@gigabyteusa.com with the case number 104951 in the e-mail subject line. We will provide personalized service and analysis to help solve your issue ASAP. If the matter is urgent, please send us your contact number, and we will contact you. GIGABYTE VIP Support Team

I sent them an email so we'll see. It's probably the same people I've been talking to...

baburaoapte

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
looking at the email they sent you back....their english is screwed up too lol. Looks like someone from the corner of the world writing you an email. Not that anyone should learn to write properly to be able to solve tech problems and be smart but hey common, a company this big...oh well do keep us updated.