Pathetic FPS when playing games as lightweight as Minecraft.

Zei33

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, yesterday I finally got to build my first PC and with the help of my technician mate, it was built and working in no time. I've spent quite a bit of time ensuring that everything is working and up to date. This includes things like drivers, registry, disk checking and so on.

So my first test with a new PC or Laptop is usually to fire up a small game, usually Minecraft and check the FPS. Three years ago I bought a laptop and got around 100-200 FPS which I found acceptable for a GT 540M graphics card and i5 2nd generation CPU. Now, I'm getting around the exact same FPS, 100-200 with a brand new GTX 780 and i7 CPU.

Now here's the kicker, after about 5-7 minutes of running around in this Minecraft world, watching the FPS, the framerate dropped drastically. We're talking 0-15 FPS and it wasn't getting any higher. It's important to note that the debug screen was saying that I was only using 48% of the alocated 1GB RAM so I don't think it has anything to do with the ram but after a while the game completely crashed.

Specs:
Motherboard: G1.Sniper 5
CPU: i7-4770k
GPU: GTX 780
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB
PSU: Corsair 750HX (AKA 750 Watts)

Zei33

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Ah, I wish it were that simple, however it does appear to be my GTX 780 handling everything. I did indeed check dxdiag to ensure that it was using the GTX780.

Aramis07

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Firstly, you have to take note that minecraft is literally the worst game in terms of optimization. so i think that would play a huge role in this, when the game renders heaps of chunks the fps is known to drop down immensly, but you could try reinstalling your gpu drivers.

Zei33

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah all drivers are up to date, I'll give GPU-Z a look in a moment and the temperatures are all generally under 50 degrees.

Dom_79

Distinguished
+1 what Aramis07 said. Minecraft is very poorly optimized. To test your GPU out (since it is such a high end card) why not use something like Furmark or 3D mark?

Playing a game (especially one like Minecraft) to initially test your GPU is not a good idea at all. You won't be able to discern whether or not issues (like this one) are game programming(optimization), drivers, or hardware. Test/ benchmarking progs (like the two I mentioned) take programming out of the picture which leaves you with basic hardware (is it physically working, connected and communicating) or drivers(which usually can be sorted out easily enough).

Zei33

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Right, okay everyone, well it looks like it's all irrelevant as it looks like the motherboard has gone. Can't boot up the PC anymore.

Dom_79

Distinguished
WOW! That was fast! All those high end components and a massive failure within a day! What a rip-off!

Or maybe you were just trolling and got tired of it. I mean who buys a rig in the neighborhood of 2000$ and "tests" it with Minecraft.

Zei33

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Aha, don't get me started on how angry I am. Also, trust me it was worth quite a bit more than $2000 (Went pretty big, COSMOS II Ultra Tower for example). The reason I used Minecraft is because it is a game I have played quite a bit so I have a good feel for how it tends to perform and it's also only 20 mb so I was able to get it up and running quickly as opposed to installing steam and downloading crysis 2. Definitely not a troll though. Thanks for the help!