Backlight of 178 LED monitor

G

Is 178 viewing angle always the monitor has full-array backlight type?
I want to avoid edge-lit backlight.

Solution
The 178 degrees viewing angle is based on the LCD technology, not the backlight. IPS panels generally have 178 degrees viewing angles, but that depends on which version you are talking about. The less expensive IPS panels tends to have e-IPS panels and the more expensive IPS monitors ($500+) tends to have S-IPS, H-IPS and P-IPS LCD panels. It is the more expensive IPS monitors that have the best viewing angles.

e-IPS panels do not have as wide of a viewing angle as the more expensive IPS panel types, but it is still pretty good given the price you pay and much better than what TN panels can do.

Personally, I prefer LCD monitors with a full backlit array since it can allow for better backlight uniformity, but it is not guaranteed...
The 178 degrees viewing angle is based on the LCD technology, not the backlight. IPS panels generally have 178 degrees viewing angles, but that depends on which version you are talking about. The less expensive IPS panels tends to have e-IPS panels and the more expensive IPS monitors ($500+) tends to have S-IPS, H-IPS and P-IPS LCD panels. It is the more expensive IPS monitors that have the best viewing angles.

e-IPS panels do not have as wide of a viewing angle as the more expensive IPS panel types, but it is still pretty good given the price you pay and much better than what TN panels can do.

Personally, I prefer LCD monitors with a full backlit array since it can allow for better backlight uniformity, but it is not guaranteed. Monitors with edge backlight seems to suffer from more backlight bleeding especially along the edges compared to monitors with full backlight array. However, edge lit monitors are generally cheaper to manufacture and consume less power.

Solution