my lenovo Y510p will not run swtor or tera, does anyone have an idea why?

Andsum

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I just got my Lenovo Y510p (for specs http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/) GeForce GT 755M graphics card, i-7, all that jazz. My drivers are up to date, but games like swtor, tera rising, mass effect 3, dragon age, will not run on the laptop, yet WoW runs perfectly. Any ideas would be very helpful!

Solution
try running the games in windowed mode. for some games modifying the shortcut to be "something.exe -w" launched it in a windowed mode but check to see if this applies to your games. it could be that the game crashes because of some glitch with fullscreen and windows 8 for those particular titles and how they are coded.

plugged in to the wall?
are your power settings set to maximum performance?

if not perhaps it is running on the i7 integrated video (it does this when you are on the move or if on power save mode). the laptop will only use the gt755m if plugged in or set to performance mode.

also you did not liked anything more than "will not run". specifics? bad lag? choppy? game doesnt start at all?

Andsum

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Sorry about no specifics. I always plug the laptop in when I game, power settings are on high performance. For SWTOR everything installs, I try to play, goes to a black screen, then gives me an error box saying that the program has been closed. I looked on their forums for hours, tried all of their "fix its" and nothing worked. For TERA everything downloads and updates, and when I try to play it goes to a black creen then gives me "ffff:ffff error." I tried their "fix-its" and it has not worked. For any bioware/EA games it just closes the programs. I went to their sites, used their compatibility checks for my system, and my system is compatible with all of their games.

try running the games in windowed mode. for some games modifying the shortcut to be "something.exe -w" launched it in a windowed mode but check to see if this applies to your games. it could be that the game crashes because of some glitch with fullscreen and windows 8 for those particular titles and how they are coded.

Solution