Strange highway misfire on a 97 LR Discovery

Alex Fry

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hey all. I was having an issue with my Discovery. I was having a bit of spirited driving, racing my buddy in a bmw. I was running 5000 rpm+ for about a mile, and basically topped out my LR while going up a hill. (I hit 120 btw :D)

All was well as we slowed down before we saw any cars and we were laughing about it. About 10 minutes later I was cruising at 80 and went to accelerate a bit, and it seemed almost like it wasn't getting any fuel. It sputtered and choked. I let off quickly and thought "Oh shit" then when I went to hit it again it ran just fine. No noticeable noises afterwards, no funny smells, ran just fine all the way home.

My question is what could have caused this? I have a sneaking suspicion its my fuel pump, as I was low on gas while thrashing it wide open for several miles. Should I replace that or wait until I either figure it its good or it strands me?

It almost seemed like the damn MAF sensor came unplugged, but I dunno.

Alex Fry

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I wasn't really low on gas, a little less than 1/4. The power loss occurred on flat ground.
What would cause power loss coming from the transmission? it never seemed like it was slipping. Just felt like I let off the gas and when I tried to fuel it, it sucked air and the revs continued to drop. Then after 4 seconds all was well in the little land rover.

Alex Fry

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Maybe a clog in my catalytic converter? It does make a bit of rattling and is a bit dodgy. Would that cause the same sort of deal? It mostly sputtered but maybe it was getting fuel.

Again the sound was so brief, I couldn't get a good listen. Sounded like it was no gas, but it also sounded a little like a clogged exhaust, too.

Alex Fry

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thanks so much! I tapped the cat with a really long stick and the one on the left sounded like a nearly empty paint can.

Awesome excuse to get a new set of pipes for the rover. Thanks again!