Rebuilding an old gaming PC - seeking advice/feedback!

Psalmopoeus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just looking for some advice/feedback. I've been doing a little research on rebuilding my old gaming PC, and thankfully I found this forum. I'd like to rebuild my PC and am just looking for a little feedback on my selections. Here's what I'm operating with currently:

Windows 7 Enterprise operating system
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 6000+, ~3.0GHz
Graphics card: ATI Radeon X1950 CrossFire GPU (512MB)

For the new GPU I'm considering EVGA GeForce GTX 760 since I don't have a large budget to work with, and I don't need "the best" card out there. I'm also looking at ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. Seems to have good reviews, and it's reasonably priced.

I would like to upgrade my CPU but haven't decided yet on what I'm really looking for. Any advice you all could offer, I'd appreciate! Wish I would have paid more attention when my dad would rebuild computers... :D

AshyCFC

Honorable
If you want to stay AMD then Something like this would be good for you

GTX 760
AMD 8350
Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
8GB RAM 1600MHZ (or higher)
good 700w+ PSU

These parts will make sure you get a strong system that can power the gtx 760 that you're looking at and that cooler master can overclock your 8350(unless you want to try a more expensive cooler or liquid cooling)

I will design a system for you if you post full budget and what parts you need/don't need as well.

Psalmopoeus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Hi Ashy,

Thanks for the help! I'm really not going to overclock anything or go for liquid cooling. I think with an appropriate case and fans I should be fine what I'm going to use this machine for; just basic gaming (Steam client) and plunking around online/YouTube. Full budget would probably be $500-600 max. I already have speakers, keyboard/mouse combo and I'm using an OK monitor (Westinghouse 22" LED full HD 1080p). Wasn't my first choice especially as far as the brand goes, but my previous monitor died on me and it worked in a pinch.

We just put in a new 400w PSU recently but I know I'll have to upgrade that with everything else. I'm not AMB/Intel specific but I really can go either way. I've heard great things about the AM3+ which is why I was learning towards it.

AshyCFC

Honorable
I think in the 500-600 $ budget AMD builds are king. here's one I'd go for with weaker CPU and Stronger GPU

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EqAm

I can go for a build with Stronger CPU/Weaker GPU if you want but for your uses I feel the original build is best> Note this assumes you can use OLD case/OLD CPU Drive and HDD but there's room to buy a HDD if you need one.

note you may want to buy a cheap CPU cooler as well for that fx-6300 as the stock one is rather disappointing.

this is an FX build (AM3+) like you requested, it's faster than the build above and has a very good motherboard but no room for new HDD http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EqHU

Psalmopoeus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hi Ashy,

Thanks for the help. I'd like to get a full sized tower so I'll have plenty of room. The old case I have now, which is a mid-size, really needs to be replaced.

TRENDING THREADS