Is it possible to install and play the likes of BF4, AC IV and GTA IV on a Linux OS?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I am getting a laptop wthout an OS because I wanna put linux on there to save all that space Windows would take up but am a gamer so would Linux be able to play games such as the ones in the title plus Crysis, Splinter Cell, Bioshock e.t.c. ?

For most of the games you mention the answer is "No". A few may be possible to play under Wine. But be aware that installation of those that do work is not the simple affair that it is in Windows. Linux is not really suitable for mainline gaming right now.

I have to add that "saving all that space that Windows would take up" is the worst rationale that I have ever heard for installing Linux.

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

Good thing that part of your opinion means less than squat to me. Also, that's only one reason why i wanna try being on Linux.

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

With this Wine thing, would I be able to tell I was gaming on Linux or would it look just as good as on Windows?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

Guess I am dreaming then :) Thanks for the help you did give me BTW.

Search for your game here and see what kind of support it has under WINE:
http://appdb.winehq.org/

Generally the older the game, the better support it will have.
BioShock runs very well. Brand new games like BF4 and AC4 are unlikely to work at the moment. Maybe in a year or so...
It would be nice if game developers would make native Linux games; but until then you are limited to running them under WINE.

Check here for list of native Linux games available via STEAM
http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

powerhouse32

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

As has been said before, many new "Windows" games won't run under Wine and will not be available to Linux users. An alternative might be Steam, see http:// which runs on Linux too.

Another way is to run Windows as a guest (virtual machine) on Linux using Xen and VGA passthrough. This requires specific hardware features such as VT-d (yes, VT-d not VT-x) or AMD-V as well as two graphics cards (or the CPU internal IGP plus another GPU). In addition to suitable hardware (good luck finding a notebook that meets these criteria) you'll still need a copy of Windows and a Windows license, but it can give you a full Windows gaming experience while putting Windows into the second rank. There are of course many more advantages to running Windows on Xen/Linux, for example easy backup and restore of your Windows VM, portability, and the added security you get with running Linux as your main OS.

That said, dual-booting is a lot easier to accomplish (but who likes it?).

sulumordna

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Replacing Windows with Linux for gaming is not really advisable atm. you can try WINE, Playonlinux (wine front end with lots of pre config settings for a lot of games), and crossover (not free and basically just wine). I have personally gotten WoW, RIFT, SC2 and SWTOR to work ok with Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora though graphic quality is not as good ,nor is the fps rate either ... also my PS1 and PS2 games run great with emulators. My newer games wont play at all on any distro. This is why I dual boot windows 7 and whatever Linux distro I feel like using at the moment. (which is NONE right now do to driver issues with my 7870 ... Ubuntu sees it as a VESA device and fedora no longer has catalyst in it's non-free repos). maybe in a few years SteamOS will be a hit and bring Linux mainstream but right now there isn't much as far as gaming goes.