Asset loading Stutter?

Xyklone

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I just upgraded from a gtx 570 to a gtx 780 ti (absolute beast of a card). However, I'm still noticing stuttering in some games and they seem to happen when moving between areas with very different assets. The oldest and most in need of upgrade parts in my build are my two aging HDDs. I have a small 320GB that spins at 5400rpm and and 1TB that spins at 7200. My games are installed on the latter. I am guessing that they may be the source of the issue.

Other than the already mentioned GPU and HDDs the rest of my build includes:

Intel core i5 2500k
Asrock H61-vs mobo (A waste i know, no overclocking =..( )
6gb RAM 1333mhz 9-9-9-24
650watt Corsair PSU

The gpu was the first step in a total upgrade but i just wanted to know what i can go for next that might alleviate the stuttering. i5 2500k is no slouch from the research i've done and shouldn't be causing the stutter but my motherboard was a bargain buy when i got it so it's second on my list of likely culprits.

Any advice? Thanks.

a z77 motherboard is actually a surprisingly good upgrade for you, as the next gen uses the same socket (z77/1155) so you could upgrade to a 3770k once they become a cheaper part.

but yeah, try the harddrives first, then the ram, then the motherboard then the power supply then the cpu in that order for upgrades :p

Xyklone

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the advice Brantyn. My current RAM isn't being topped off so I eliminated it as a possible source for stuttering. But I might imagine the extra frequency speed helping.

I'm a bit puzzled by it though. What gets loaded into the RAM that wouldn't be better off being loaded into the Vram? Especially since the 780ti has 3gigs? (i game at 1920x1080 btw)

My assumption was that maybe my system was stuttering at the step where the assets are pulled from the HDD and into the Vram.

Also, is it worth going for LGA 1150? Am I losing anything by upgrading my mobo to z77 and a 3770k, as opposed to going for haswell or waiting for broadwell?

haswell was a dissapointing performance jump from ivy-bridge, as they focused more on power saving that huge performance increases, haswell doesnt overclock as well as ivy bridge, and the 3770k is still basically equivalent, I wouldnt bother waiting for broadwell, as the performance increase won't be anything substantial yet.

and typically things like map textures go through the system ram at some points, and typically 4gb runs into problems while 8 does not. also 2 4gb sticks allows for dual channel which runs much more efficiently than single channel or having 3 sticks of 2gb

your assumption on what is causing the stuttering is a very good one, and trying a newer hard-drive may be a solution. also maybe describe the stuttering a bit more, as it may be more game related than hardware related