Having a few problems, Need Help!

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hey guys,
I've just gone and got a 1920 x 1080p PC Monitor (specifically the Acer G246HL) since I had a 32" Bush LCD TV I was playing on before, but I've now had a few issues.
When I plug in the HDMI Cable from the back of my monitor to my GPU the screen down-scales by a few centimeters all the way around my monitor, so I have a useless and very irritating border, however when I use the D-Sub cable instead it is at the size it should be! Therefore I am temporarily sticking with the D-sub cable.
Also at the moment I jump into a game of BF4 and I'm now getting about 10-20 fps on lower settings (mostly medium) than my usual 50+ fps at 1360 x 768, in the device manager the monitor is just coming up as generic pnp monitor which was there before and it will not show any others even when I click scan for hardware changes, that one is also up to date as is my drivers for my gpu, also my system rating for graphics has dropped from 7.9 to 6.6, am I being a complete rookie and missing something, or could my gpu be degrading? (I purchased it brand new 9 months ago).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs:
-Intel Core i5-4430 3.00GHz Haswell
-Gigabyte H87M-HD3 Motherboard
-AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
-Corasair Vengeance 8GB Ram (2x4GB)
-Corsair Enthusiast TX750W PSU
-Samsung 500GB HDD
-Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

Edit: see my other post below I've minimized it to just 1 problem.

Solution
Dropping to the D-sub is a lower bandwidth connection then a HDMI, so less data, and less 'performance' is provided by using D-sub (AKA VGA connection). HDMI is totally different as it carries both sound and video data over the higher bandwidth connection, and provides higher scale resolutions (1920x1080 is also call 1080p in normal TV Video lexicon) to provide better visual details.

As for why HDMI gets the 'band' around it on your screen, this is called SCALING and ASPECT RATIO. Basically that is the solution to the older 'TVs' being a 'square' box and display but now all LCDs are 'Wide screen' so the left and right sides on most 'displayed video' are black and 'wasted space'. Scaling / Aspect Ratio reads this and 'stretches' or...

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Well for the FPS drop, thats because your game is being rendered in a higher resolution (1920x1080) rather than your old lower res 1360x768. As for the monitor, I found this on an older post.

"It turns out HDMI has some kind of proprietary design to it, it must have a patent or something, and a company cannot fully integrate HDMI into their device without paying the HDMI founders group some licensing fee. It turns out ACER did not pay this licensing fee for the H233H monitor and therefore HDMI is weird. If this seems strange I totally agree. Why bother even adding an HDMI port if it is not going to work? It has been a few months and my memory is fuzzy, but I remember spending time with ACER support (a few hours on the phone I think, because I can't find an email record) and they either backed this up or gave no better answer." (user: NoTraction , via tomshardware.com)
Check your screen res, but besides that it looks like you may have screwed up in the monitor department. Don't fully take my word for it, I implore anyone else to step in before the OP may have to contact ASUS support or get a new monitor.

Another small possibility: your GPU may be messing it up.

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Plugged in the HDMI Cable now fps is great and the rating is back up to 7.9, so now my only problem is the the downscaling black border which is stopping me from using the whole screen, glad my GPU isn't dying! phew... could I possibly require a D-sub to HDMI adapter even though the back of the monitor has a HDMI slot?

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I downloaded the driver for the monitor it and its a zip file which includes an ICC profile so I extracted it to my desktop, when I opened it there it gives me the option to install profile which I clicked but nothing seemed to happen... :/

Dropping to the D-sub is a lower bandwidth connection then a HDMI, so less data, and less 'performance' is provided by using D-sub (AKA VGA connection). HDMI is totally different as it carries both sound and video data over the higher bandwidth connection, and provides higher scale resolutions (1920x1080 is also call 1080p in normal TV Video lexicon) to provide better visual details.

As for why HDMI gets the 'band' around it on your screen, this is called SCALING and ASPECT RATIO. Basically that is the solution to the older 'TVs' being a 'square' box and display but now all LCDs are 'Wide screen' so the left and right sides on most 'displayed video' are black and 'wasted space'. Scaling / Aspect Ratio reads this and 'stretches' or 'zooms' on the actual video picture to 'fill in the space'. This is where you get the problem of only seeing 'half' a video because the zoom 'cuts' off part of the video, and stretching makes everything look..... well stretched out.

In your case, this can be 'either end of the cable' that is the solution, so it will take some time to work this out. In my case my NVidia Control Panel, Display, Adjust Desktop Size and Position lets me change the Aspect Ratio, Full Screen (zoom) or no scaling, or perform a manual scaling. BUT I never used it because on my Acer GD235Hz 120Hz LCD I had a setting under the LCD panels' settings itself (the buttons on the actual LCD you go through the on screen menu) to set the Aspect Ratio to fill in the same 'gaps' your saying appear on your 32" Bush.

So you would need to go through the BUSH settings first, seeing what you can do (mind you this will affect ALL displayed things on it, so this includes your Blu Ray, your TV signal, etc.) then check on your Catalyst control panel.

Solution

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013

Thank you both so much for your time! Tom you were spot on the option was there when I started going through all the tabs updating it in catalyst control center, Internet hugs! ha ha :)