Changed Video Card, No signal to monitor (Please Help)

xCJJx

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Hello and Thanks for Reading this. I have an Alienware Aurora desktop (the 2012-ish model) and I wanted to replace the Nvidia Geforce GTX 555 Graphics card in it with an Asus Radeon R9 270. I uninstalled all of the Nvidia drivers and I powered it down completely and replaced the card and plugged in the 6 pin power plug into the card and hooked up the HDMI cable from my monitor into the card (which as always worked fine with my old video card) and the GPU is getting power; the fan and the lights are on, but there is no signal to my monitor. I tried resetting the BIOS by using the pin connection/CMOS battery reset but there is still no signal.

I put the old video card back in and it works fine, but the monitor doesn't pick up my new video card. *Note I can only get to BIOS with my old video card installed, should I change the settings then? Any help appreciated!

*Quick edit: When I power on my pc with my new card there are no beeps at all

Solution
1. Can you hear the post beeps with your old card now ?

2. What is the make/model of PSU ? I assume its OEM, can you tell me the wattage and Amperage on +12V rail !

3. In most cases on branded PC's the MB BIOS is locked to do an upgrade of after market GPU's, this may have been the case with you. You could talk to PC vendor or could look for the GPU support list on vendors site.

4. Sometimes a MB BIOS update helps to recognize the after market GPU/s. You can try that at your own risk, cause there is no guarantee of it to work, unless the vendor say so, and potentially dangerous as that could brick the MB.

Good luck.

xCJJx

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

It's 825w and the minimum requirement for my new card is 500w. I checked the power cables and the one being plugged into the card, it's plugged in well enough. The GPU appears to be on, could it still be a power problem?

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

What is the model of your PSU? Also, put in your old video card, install drivers for your new gpu, and install the new GPU. Sometimes there are monitor drivers (which is weird, I know, but windows made me update mine once) so you can also check for those.

xCJJx

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

well I've heard of people fixing similar problems by completely replacing their mobo, but I don't think that's possible for me to do right now, How would I go about updating the BIOS?

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

Find out the make and model of your motherboard, go to the official product website for it, and there should be options to download the BIOS.

xCJJx

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

I'm not sure how to determine the model of the PCU :Z I can't find it, But I did think of installing the new drivers on my old vid card, I'll definitely try that out

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

Good luck! To find the model, just open up your case and the brand at least should be on the side. Or where you plug your computer into the wall there should be a brand for the PSU.

Solution