Hypothetical Workstation build for Video/Graphic designer

Ch4osk1d

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Hello community of Tom's hardware I was asked to build an workstation for a good friend of mine. He mostly did his work on an school provided macbook pro but he wants a "proper" computer. I recently gained my a+ so he felt I was the best person to do it. I have some experience building computers but not much here is the list I suggested to him for the build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/chaoskid/saved/3vSO

Keep in mind nothing is finalized and this is just an hypothetical. Am posting this to see if there are any revisions that you guys with more experience see that maybe needed.

Thank you for any help you provide :D

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
It's a great workstation if you ask me. The only things I would change are the case and CPU cooler.

- I know the case is a personal choice, but there is better cases than the Phantom 410 from NZXT. I generally recommend Corsair and Fractal Design enclosures, as they are made from high quality components and have full of features for the price. The Corsair Carbide 500R and the Fractal Design Define R4 are my personal favorites. Be sure to take a look !

- Have you consider air cooling for the CPU ? Because there are cheaper and better options out there. Some coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE cools better than the H100 from Corsair and are fare more quiet. Plus, you don't risk any liquid leaking into your computer if they break.

If you have questions, feel free to ask them. Have fun building !

Ch4osk1d

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Ok thanks for your suggestion. I picked the case and cooler for the reason that I worked with them before. I will of course consider air cooling but I myself never really had experience with them before (i.e their usage, temps, installation. I have looked at the corsair cases but I always see conflicting non-explaining reviews like its great or its a POS :/ and Fractal I never really heard of before.....I start looking their stuff up