change from eletrical engineering for pc hardware career, help.

leandronb

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hi guys. I'm from Brazil and now I am studying electrical engineering. I have 23 years old and I didn't like very much what I do. Less than 2 years from now Ican finish my degree but iI don'tknow if will worth since iI don't like very much. The classes are very hard, I work with my uncle in engineering business for 3 and half years and is a bit better than classes but now I learned everything so I'm a bit bored to do the same projects in AutoCAD etc.
So I know very much in terms of hardware, like ram, GPUs CPUs etc. I love to build computers, tweak systems, fix problems hardware or software related, anything related with technology I love including smartphones etc. So what do you guys think that would be a good degree for me? I'm a bit lost because here in Brazil there isn't much options besides engineering, medical and law areas.
Thanks in advance.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
Well there are two sides to Electrical Engineering, there is the digital path and the power path. I know because I also have the same degree. I hated power. It's just boring to me. Yeah I can build buck converts, fix ramp up voltage etc. But I just didn't like it. I loved the digital side. Coding, working with hardware, reading about how processors were designed and how they function. I'm actually reading an ARM book right now. I've always felt that the school I went to pushed the EE degree to the power path. But I stuck through and got the degree. I didn't want to do a Masters, but I could have done that and got a Masters in Computer Engineering.

Ultimately, you need to do what you enjoy. I'm stuck right now doing IT work for a local IT firm. I was trying it out and it's boring. I'm getting out of it. Think about what you want to do, what you enjoy doing, and plan ahead right now for it. As time progresses, it get's harder to change.