RAM or CPU upgrade in my video editing build?

RAM or CPU? (Which CPU for video editing, and not being overclocked)

• Double the RAM to 16GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go with the 8320.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Get the 8350, the extra $50 is worth it.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Cameronandcolour

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I started this build out with video editing in mind, but made a couple purchases with gaming in mind. I now, however have no time for gaming, and want to transition this build into strictly a video editing machine. Now to the title, and concern. Upgrade the RAM or CPU first? I plan on upgrading both, but only one at a time. At the moment, trying to figure out which would be the best "bang for my buck". From what I'm seeing I can drop $100 to double my ram from the 8GB I'm at now, to 16GB, in the form of 4 sticks of 4GB, which my mobo supports. On the other hand, remains the option of dropping around $150-$200 on an AMD FX 8350 or 8320. Deciding between those two is a different story.. What I'm trying to figure out, is if I drop $200 on my CPU, would it give me double the performance of doubling my RAM, being it is half the price.. Again, what I'm trying to accomplish here is dollar to performance ratio.. And would going SSD for my programs make a difference in rendering HD footage? Any help would be phenomenal.. Thanks.

My build is:
CPU - AMD FX-4300 3.8Ghz
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB
Memory - 8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz RAM (2 sticks of 4)
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3
HDD -Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU - OEM 700W
Case - NZXT Phantom Full-Tower