chevy trailblazer wierd noise

crazyperson214

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
when leaving work with temps below 0 I started my trailblazer and let it sit for say 2 min ( I used my remote start so it was running for a little bit before I got to it.) got in and checked the gauges as usual when its below 0 and they looked fine. backed out and heard/felt a bang. thought I might have hit the car next to me but I was 5 feet away from it. figured the noise was ice falling off from underneath that I ran over.

got to the first red light I felt a vibration in the gas peddle, which is normal in the cold when I start driving at first. gauges still fine.

got to another light about a mile down the road, the vibration in the gas peddle got my attention and I turned down my heat and heard this awful noise coming from the engine. gauges still normal.

this is not my video or car but this is the noise it makes. however when mine makes this noise it does not seem to be as consistent in timing, it's more random. it is also louder, I got home and my parents came outside to see what in the world was happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDTyTuIxaIE

while driving I noticed at certain rpms (low ones seeing as how I didn't want to go higher) the noise would sometimes slow and stop then return as I left off the gas. no change in engine performance otherwise. exhaust sounds the same.

here are the things that have already been replaced / cleaned in the engine:

replaced:
belt tensioner pulley
belt tensioner (bearing on the other side)
went through 3 belts
6 sparks plugs (bosch platinum 4 pin)
oil cooler lines
power steering lines
air intake (by choice, it gives better gas millage)

cleaned:
throttle body
air intake
fuel injectors ( by local shop )

115,000 miles

the video says its a bad rod bearing but I like to believe its not haha.
any ideas?

its your flexplate.look for cracks around the bolts that attach it to the crank.one other possibility is that the flexplate is hitting something.try turning it over by hand and see if it is contacting anything.its not a rod bearing.thats for sure.if your really in doubt,remove the flexplate and start it up.bet the sound is gone.

crazyperson214

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

can you describe the flexplate location please? I think I know what you mean but I want to be sure ( it's -10 outside ) before I take things apart

the flex plate is the part at the back of the engine,bolted to the crankshaft.the transmission torque converter bolts to the flexplate (big round thing.lol) the flexplate has gear teeth around the outside so the starter can mesh with it to start the engine.dont hesitate to ask for more info.been a mechanic for 35 years.

crazyperson214

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

that makes a lot more sense to me now, I was thinking of the plastic skid plate and was extremely confused.
will take a look after work/classes tomorrow. if that is the problem, is it something I can replace myself?

in your video you show a motor running with the transmission removed.is this yours? if so you are halfway there already.that round thing spinning on the back of the engine needs to be checked for cracks or clearance checked in case its hitting something.

crazyperson214

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

it's not, I just wanted to find a TB with a similar noise so I wasn't using words to describe it.

I will look over the video more carefully so I know where to look though. thanks.