CPU Cooler choice

Teckiies

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I ordered a Noctua NH-D14 earlier today, but I'm having second thoughts about the fact that it'll be covering the majority of my motherboard. (It won't impair any problems on my ram)

I'm leaning towards cancelling my order and buying the Corsair H100i. (I'd want to replace the stock fans on the H100i, right?)

I'm crazy about things being quiet btw.

Opinions?

kooks147

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

so the noctua is a very good cooler and you shouldnt see any problems with it the h100i will outperform it at a higher price, sound level, and fan rpm. If you do get the h100i change the fans out with low decibel fans preferably noctua or any fan with high static pressure since that is most important when concerning radiators. shoot for push pull. One more thing nothing beats a custom water cooling loop just depends on your budget.

Teckiies

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to cancel my order and buy a H100i along with 2 NF-F12s or SP120s.
I may as well go for the best there is.

Also, I haven't got any idea on how I'd go about doing a custom water cooling loop right now, but I'll look into it and invent into it if I feel like I want more out of the H100i! :)

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Apparently in your case it's not about needing one but wanting one. I wouldn't buy a watercooling cooler because I don't OC that much and I want my pc to be really quiet so I would buy the Noctua instead. The difference in performance is pretty small but Noctua is quieter and cheaper.

Teckiies

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

I do plan to OC with my new i7 4770k (Never done it before though)
Still get the Noctua?

kooks147

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

ya you need to do a lot of research for a custom loop. and good luck! dont forget to pick a the best answer.

There is the option to run the H100i fans are a slower speed. They are essentially the same as the Corsair SP120 variants, but just have a higher RPM.

Just about any fan you place on there is going to reduce the thermal performance but at least a touch, although, obviously, you'll have gains in the acoustics department.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

Yes, definitely. Check this:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h110_review,13.html
As you can see the Noctua is better in every way: performance, noise level and price.