AMD R9 270 getting hot?

Nemo Kai

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hi, I just got a ASUS AMD R9 270 DirectCU II OC a month back, and I've seen this question being asked before regarding the temperature of the GPU. From what I've read, the temperature of the GPU should not go above 65-70'C while gaming. But does it matter as of where you are from? As I am from Malaysia, the weather here usually ranges from 29'C to 34'C during the day. While gaming, my GPU's temperature tends to rise to 86'C (had rise to 91'C once on Skyrim with very high setting though). So is it normal for the temperature to be so high based on the weather here?

Thanks in advance :)

[UPDATE]
Heating problem solved. Removed my CPU cover to allow better airflow into the CPU. Now the highest temperature attained is 72'C with fan speed @ 59%. :)

These guys here measured 63 Celsius under load, with the exact same model you have.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_270_review,9.html

They usually have a 20 Celsius room temperature. If you have 34, I guess you should expect your card to reach 77 (that is, 43 above room temp, like them).

In general, the card should stay under 80 C to be safe.

Since you got a lot more than 77, I'm guessing your case didn't cool as well as the reviewers', or your card's fans are moving slower than on the card they reviewed. Maybe you can add some case fans, or increase the fan speed for your graphics card?

Rams Anirudh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Check for enough cooling on your cabinet, it should not go above 80C max, try to clean GPU and put it, it could be because of dust also

Nemo Kai

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I see.. Thanks.. I didn't add anymore cooling for the GPU other than the stock ASUS fan on the graphic card.. I shall try increasing the fan speed for now then.. :)

Rams Anirudh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

You're welcome bud. If you have any questions don hesitate to post :)