Sign in with
Your question

First Time New Build: PLEASE Critique!!! $2000-ish Budget

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2014 2:45:14 PM

I'm New to the community and have been wanting to build a Strictly "Gaming" PC since i bought a Xbox One and none of my friends moved over with me (thats the only reason i was gaming on Xbox 360 for 7 years to start with is becuase i could game with them).

Partpicker;
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2GldU

I've looked at the buying a Pre-Built PC but thats just no fun and i enjoy this kinda stuff, i would like to stay around the $2000 range but i also want somthing thats going to be good enough for awhile aswell. I would also like to consider Overclocking down the road when im comfortable so im hoping these components would support that? My goal is to have amazing graphics, I havent decided if im going with a 2- 24" 144hz Monitors or 27" Monitors yet.

Just a quick overview of some Major Components that i have questions about.

CPU- Intel i5-4670K (My understanding is there is no reason to go with i7-4770K for gaming, True?)
CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i (is there a big benifit vs the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?)
Motherboard- Asus Maximus VI Hero ( Is this Over/Underkill for Gaming/OCing ect)
VideoCard- Geforce GTX 780 (This is where it seems to get confusing for me because there seems like so many diffrent models of the 780, is there a brand that sticks out, Ex. Evga/Asus/Gigabyte ect ect...)
SSD- Samsung 840 256 2.5"
Case- Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower (I just like the look of this one, im still open to suggestions)
PSU- Corsair AX760i or AX860i?? ( from what i read i dont want to cheap out on a PSU is either of these fine, or should i go another route?)
OS-Windows 8.1

So my biggest questions now have to do with if this setup will have suffciant cooling? and my power supply,the 780 Graphics Card, and the future Overclock-ability, Please if somthing looks wrong or Over/Under Kill, please let me know, im new to this and try reseaching ALOT, but there are alot of different opinions, and im open to them.

Thanks

a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2014 4:11:16 PM

lucaz said:

Partpicker;
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2GldU

1.CPU- Intel i5-4670K (My understanding is there is no reason to go with i7-4770K for gaming, True?)
2.CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i (is there a big benifit vs the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?)
3.Motherboard- Asus Maximus VI Hero ( Is this Over/Underkill for Gaming/OCing ect)
4. VideoCard- Geforce GTX 780 (This is where it seems to get confusing for me because there seems like so many diffrent models of the 780, is there a brand that sticks out, Ex. Evga/Asus/Gigabyte ect ect...)
5.SSD- Samsung 840 256 2.5"
6.Case- Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower (I just like the look of this one, im still open to suggestions)
7.PSU- Corsair AX760i or AX860i?? ( from what i read i dont want to cheap out on a PSU is either of these fine, or should i go another route?)
8.OS-Windows 8.1

1. for pure gaming no there is no benefit in going with 4770k .
2 honestly don't like the closed loop systems. the hyper 212 evo or the noctua nh-d14 work really well
3. me personally i don't see a reason in spending more than 150 dollars on a mobo for gaming
4.to me it's more of a personal preference i tend to go with zotac gigabyte or msi whichever is cheaper .
5. i'd go with the samsung evo over the pro .
6. very nice case. have modded a few of them .
7. You never want to cheap out on the psu . the one's you have listed are very nice but really expensive id go with a seasonic,xfx ,antec , a corsair RM or TX , or a PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III .

here is a build for you
PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2GqF0
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2GqF0/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2GqF0/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.06 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($141.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($85.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($186.34 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($529.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.75 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($93.88 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1697.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-23 19:09 EST-0500)

January 23, 2014 9:14:35 PM

Thanks Bodeen for the reply!

So would what I have picked, will I have an issue with cooling? I don't fully understand why I see so systems with a big liquid cooling setup, So will I be able to cool properly the gtx 780 ect, with just case fans, minus the separate cooler for the CPU?

Thanks
a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2014 12:49:50 AM

big liquid cooling setups are for real overclocking the cpu and the gpu plus it keeps the temps low . yes you can keep the 780 cool with case fans .
!