Sign in with
Your question

New PC Build Suggestions - Couple Month Open Window Timing

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2014 8:14:25 AM

In 2008 (don't laugh!:) ) with the help of those here on the forums, I built a pc that is still holding its own. Adding the Adobe Software and Dragons Prophet (listed below) have made my machine show it's age. When applications are run individually, it still can keep up. However if I run multiple, you can probably guess how that works out. You may be surprised that it was a $1000 build - that has aged so well. (Intel, Asus, Ati Radeon WD, Mushkin and Corsair components)

In the next couple of months, I am considering building a new pc. I can hope that it will age as gracefully as my current one. (The current one really won't be retired, just given a lighter load working beside a new one).

Applications Used:
Windows Office (Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint)
Finale
CorelDraw Suite X6
Adobe Design and Web Premium CS6 (Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash)
Dabbling with: Adobe Premiere Pro and Prelude
Gaming: Dragons Prophet

I have not stayed up with the pc/technology news - being content with what I have been using. I found constantly reading about the newest and greatest only made me consider upgrading when I didn't need it. So I stopped reading all the news.

Things that might help to know:
- Dedicated video and sounds cards are expected. I haven't needed two video cards and don't foresee why I would need two in the future. Windows 7 made it so my old SoundBlaster card won't capture audio in applications such as audacity - I suspect that is just driver age/no longer supported. (Audio from something already playing on the pc)
- My current pc's age should tell you that I have only experience with HDD so SS would be a new frontier. Is using both unheard of? Is installation simple?
- My home network is wired and I am happy with that.
- I do not need a new monitor/keyboard/mouse
- I would be purchasing a new case. My current pcs (2 of that 2008 build) are housed in Antec - (1) Sonata III 500 and (2)Antec Three Hundred Black. Similar would be great.
- I already have the operating system purchased
- I don't play around with over-clocking

Price Range: $1000-$1500

If there is any other information that would help, just ask and I can provide it.

In the past when components are suggested, I have tried to research them before buying. (Most forums threads end up with very diverse component suggestions.) I try not to ignorantly follow the first suggestion given. If you are knowledgeable and have the time to help a stranger, I am quite willing to hear/read your reasons why X is better than Y - so that I end up with a lasting, quality machine.

I am in no rush - work has me burning both ends of the candle. So, if a particular component is the best choice, there is nothing up and coming that will change that fact, and Newegg throws a super deal on it - I am willing to purchase pieces individually.

Thank you for your timing reading and your expertise!
January 24, 2014 12:17:12 PM

I would go with something along these lines:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($330.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1156.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-24 15:19 EST-0500)

I recommed the i7 because it will likely last you longer than the i5, even though either would probably be fine for your needs. Since you aren't overclocking, don't get the "k" edition processors.

H87 motherboard since you aren't overclocking, Gigabyte is very reliable and because you aren't overclocking, just about anything will work well for you.

I went with 16GB of RAM because it's better to buy a matched set initially than to add later and run into possible compatibility issues. 8GB is plenty for a gaming computer, but given your other needs I think 16 would be appropriate, and help extend longevity.

An SSD is a great way to enhance your computer's performance. This Samsung EVO is fast, and has enough space for your OS and applications. Put your media and games on the Caviar Blue.

The GTX 770 is a very good card and will max just about every game out there at 1080P (won't get 60FPS in every game though) and should do a good job with upcoming titles for a while. You have the budget to go with something like a GTX 780 if you so wish, it would last you longer, but I think a 770 offers great value right now. The R9-280X is another good choice, but the AMD prices are up right now due to BitCoin mining.

This Corsair case is a solid choice, another good one is the Fractal Arc Midi R2, which looks a lot like the Antec 300 but is designed better. Something from Antec/Corsair/Fractal Design/Silverstone/Lian Li will probably fit your taste.

This XFX is a good PSU built by SeaSonic (top quality) and gives you plenty of power. Since you aren't overclocking and don't plan on SLI/XFire, this will work great. If you want to spend a little more on something that is modular, it's a good way to improve cable management and ultimately airflow.

Hope this helps as a good template, I tried to land somewhere in the middle of $1000-$1500, but this can easily be adjusted one way or another.
January 31, 2014 7:06:40 PM

Thank you for your recommendation Transmaniacon. I forgot to check the box for emails when someone responded to the thread and thought it must be a really slow week in the forums. I will take a look at the components this weekend.
February 9, 2014 9:06:07 AM

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)

The comments on the newegg reviews indicates problems with drive recognition and boot order in the bios.
Are you familiar with the board to know what that would happen? Having never used SSD along a standard hard drive - I wonder if I would now how to trouble shoot this.
!