Dell XPS 8700 Power Supply Upgrade

Sky2014

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hi!

I recently received my XPS 8700 and find the OEM power supply a bit noisy. I'd like to replace it with a high rated power supply, perhaps to accommodate a better graphics card in the near future.

Would anyone have any suggestions on a good P.S. to use with this system?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sky2014

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

It's a 460W power supply according to the sticker. Thanks!

Wattage is not the critical factor - 12v amperage is what you need to know. The wattage "ratings" of OEM (Dell, HP, etc) pc's tend to be somewhat "optimistic". Look again at that sticker - look for the area that says 12v and lists something like 20a. Multiply the number of amps by 12 and you will have a rough approximation of the true "power" of the psu. This is an estimate only, but if you look at the specs on various psu's, you will find that "bargain" psu's typically have low amperage on the 12v rail(s). Name units like Seasonic or Antec will have substantially higher amperage per rail for the same "watts".

Mark

Wattage is important , especially if you have high current set up like multiuple graphics cards , but in practice any 450/460 watt psu from a quality manufacturer will work well for you

This 450 watt seasonic is $75 +shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151124&clickid=yGlXAlUZEXhTR7zyAASsFxBEUkT3ooT5fRndSU0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

But if a power supply is under less load it will be quieter so this 550 watt unit makes sense for only a few dollars more
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=pcpapi-20

Both are partially modular which means the cables inside the pc can be unplugged if you dont need them . Makes things tidier

Sky2014

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks everyone!

I purchased a Corsair RM650 and it looks like it may not fit inside. I should have checked the dimensions first, but I didn't think it mattered.

There are two tabs at the rear preventing the existing power supply from sliding back, I suppose. Since the Corsair is slightly longer, I think that may be a problem. They can be pushed down, but I don't know if that will allow the corsair to fit.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Do I need to find another PSU with identical dimensions to the OEM PSU?

Thanks again!

TheGreganater

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

How was putting this psu in? I did the same thing as you and special ordered in an hx750 so no refunds even available and decided to after the fact measure it and finding out its 2 inches longer... think the top usb ports will be an bottleneck but it seems I may be able to squish the wires up and under to make some room, dont know yet

IanL71

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

Did this PSU work for you? I'd heard there was some strangeness with the pins that could cause issues with non-DELL power supplies.

TRENDING THREADS