Is this build compatible? Will this suffice for most games?

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
This build is great and you will be able to max out most games at 1080P. I would make a few changes, tough:

- You don't need a Core i7 for gaming, unless you do more intensive tasks like rendering or video/photo editing. If you do so, I suggest you also pick 16 G of RAM instead of 8. Otherwise, a Core i5 would be more than enough for gaming.

- Why a 10 000 RPM hard drive ? Pick a 7200 RPM drive. It's cheaper and the difference you'll see in speed is minimal. With the money you could save on the CPU and HDD, I recommend you pick an SSD for a boot drive. Samsung 840 EVO are great because they are fast, reliable and pretty affordable.

- I wouldn't take that RM Series power supply. Some of them have thermal issues. For the same price, go take a look at either a Seasonic unit or XFX unit. They are more reliable and they will perform better.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. Have fun building !

30gboost

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Thank you also for the reply :D.. Im taking all of this into great concideration. I will try to reply in order... First off, I'm glad its a great build. However, there were some things I was suspect about.

-Why i7? I figured I will not be replacing my CPU any time soon.. say 4 years? I don't upgrade much unless it is completely nessecary. I thought this chip would be a good one to get that will be good to me for a few years. It is also "in the budget" if you will. I guess my cap overall would be $1400-1500 JUST for the computers, no peripherals or display included.

-Why 10000 RPM? To be honest.. I don't know? Seems fast right? :p Are SSD's all they're cracked up to be? When I started researching parts, I had never heard of an SSD. I bought a computer last about 4 years ago ("gaming laptop"). So this is new to me. I get the concept of it and how it works. But results wise. How much better is it really? Performance? Longevity? Also, the price per amount of storage you get doesn't seem worth it to me, even if I used it ONLY for a boot drive like you said.

- Why RM PSU? I don't know much about the difference between makes and models for PSU's, so I was taking a gamble and thats why I'm here! First.. is the 750w overkill? Can/should I downgrade? Know of any reputable ErP/EuP ready PSU's since my motherboard is ready as well?

30gboost

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Hahahahaha. This actually made me laugh out loud. I read it twice xD.. and its true.