Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help Choosing Parts for New Rig

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
January 25, 2014 9:31:57 AM

I am still within the early stages of the never-ending process of learning about computer parts. I currently have an AMD heavy setup that I am not as happy with as I would like to be. Currently I have a store bought HP h8-1414 envy in which I replaced the PSU with a 600W Thermaltake and the graphics card with an XFX HD7950 Core Edition. It is running with a six-core FX-6120 at 3.5Mhz. I am mainly into flight sims, as well as any other games that are intensive. DCS runs decent, except for when I look into areas with a high object count; sometimes it will drop to 5 frames depending on the scenario. I also play FSX as well as X-plane. Fsx does decent as well, other than when I am using TacPack as I assume the MFCD screens in the cockpit slow it down a lot. Without rambling anymore about my plight, I was looking at different building websites yesterday, such as CyberPower, and I believe I have put together some decent rigs. I just need feedback as to what is considered overkill now but might be a "future-proof" setup down the line.
I am working within a budget of $2k to $2500 and the following are some of the parts I have been looking at:

*Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0 & Full Side-Panel Window

*Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150

*Asetek 570LX 240mm Liquid Cooling Extreme Performance CPU Cooler

*2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

*HDD2:128GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 520 MB/s Write

*16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+89] (Corsair Vengeance

*ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX w/ Xfast Technology, Purity Sound Audio, Display Port, Intel GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 2 PCI

*Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition)

*850 Watts - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

*NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked Edition

The price for the aforementioned build is around $2400 to have Cyberpower build it. My questions are:

1. I have read about the i5-4670K being more than enough for gaming; could the hyper-threading of the i7 possibly be used for gaming in the future?

2. I also noticed the i7-4820K supports faster ram; is the performance gain from 1600 Ram to 1866 significant?

3. Is it easy to OC the k processor? or should I have them overclock it?

4. Is Intel planning on introducing a new generation at some point this year? As in, should I wait to do anything?

5. My current motherboard only has one pci 16x slot and it is 2.0. Is there a huge difference between a 2.0 and 3.0 bus when my GPU is 3.0?

I highly appreciate all feedback. I currently have been using Windows 8 for a year now, and I am used to it, that is why I chose it over a 7 version. Thanks for your time

More about : choosing parts rig

Best solution

January 25, 2014 2:22:50 PM

i7-4770k or i5-4670k
-an i5 4670k is all you need for gaming. you really dont need the hyperthreading of the i7 so can save on cash. if you want to overclock keep the k edition, if you dont then go with a non k.
Asetek 510LC Cooler
-not sure of this one off the top of my head but any aftermarket cooler is better than stock.
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX
-this works however the asus z87 boards are likely a better choice.
16GB 1866MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws X or 16GB 2133 MHz
-you only really need 8gb for gaming unless you like to record your games or have multiple progams/windows open while gaming in which case you might benefit from 16 (since you might run a bit closer to the 8). 2133 is a bit overkill and is only a few percent different than 1600. honestly 1866 is right in the sweet spot between price and a slight benefit. keep in mind that low timings matter as well. 1866 cas 9 is what i would go with. or 1600 cas 8. gskill isnt a bad brand of ram.
EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked Edition or EVGA GTX Titan Superclocked Edition if I go with the i5 CPU
-780ti beats out the titan for cheaper. the titan is only good if you want 3x or 4x sli (since its a single card not two cards in one). for $2500 its possible to have two 780ti's in sli with an i5. oh and make sure they arent giving you a reference design model (one fan) since you want a 2 or 3 fan model for better cooling.
850 Watts – Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2
-for the price they should be giving you the AX series or a seasonic/xfx psu. wattage is more than high enough (a bit overkill but gives you enough extra if you wanted to sli in the future which isnt a bad choice on their part.
2TBx1 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64 MB Cache 7200 HDD
-keep in mind that drives over 1tb tend to be rather unreliable compared with the smaller drives. i'm on my 5th rma. also what brand? personally i'd only go with wd, seagate or samsung.
256 GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s – 555 MB/s Read & 530 MB/s Write SSD
-good size and great for boot however i'd go with intel or samsung.
24x Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW +CD-R/RW Drive
-no comment.

i think the prices of $2000-2500 sound way high for what you are getting however performance should be decent. the brands and models they used for some components arent my first choice but they should work.
January 25, 2014 2:40:23 PM

ssddx said:
i7-4770k or i5-4670k
-an i5 4670k is all you need for gaming. you really dont need the hyperthreading of the i7 so can save on cash. if you want to overclock keep the k edition, if you dont then go with a non k.
Asetek 510LC Cooler
-not sure of this one off the top of my head but any aftermarket cooler is better than stock.
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX
-this works however the asus z87 boards are likely a better choice.
16GB 1866MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws X or 16GB 2133 MHz
-you only really need 8gb for gaming unless you like to record your games or have multiple progams/windows open while gaming in which case you might benefit from 16 (since you might run a bit closer to the 8). 2133 is a bit overkill and is only a few percent different than 1600. honestly 1866 is right in the sweet spot between price and a slight benefit. keep in mind that low timings matter as well. 1866 cas 9 is what i would go with. or 1600 cas 8. gskill isnt a bad brand of ram.
EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked Edition or EVGA GTX Titan Superclocked Edition if I go with the i5 CPU
-780ti beats out the titan for cheaper. the titan is only good if you want 3x or 4x sli (since its a single card not two cards in one). for $2500 its possible to have two 780ti's in sli with an i5. oh and make sure they arent giving you a reference design model (one fan) since you want a 2 or 3 fan model for better cooling.
850 Watts – Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2
-for the price they should be giving you the AX series or a seasonic/xfx psu. wattage is more than high enough (a bit overkill but gives you enough extra if you wanted to sli in the future which isnt a bad choice on their part.
2TBx1 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64 MB Cache 7200 HDD
-keep in mind that drives over 1tb tend to be rather unreliable compared with the smaller drives. i'm on my 5th rma. also what brand? personally i'd only go with wd, seagate or samsung.
256 GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s – 555 MB/s Read & 530 MB/s Write SSD
-good size and great for boot however i'd go with intel or samsung.
24x Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW +CD-R/RW Drive
-no comment.

i think the prices of $2000-2500 sound way high for what you are getting however performance should be decent. the brands and models they used for some components arent my first choice but they should work.

What do you think about the X79 Boards? also the i7-4820k at a 30% overclock?

m
l
January 25, 2014 2:50:24 PM

x79 in general seems to have a great many issues with the motherboards. not just with one brand or model either. regardless its absolutely overkill and unnecessary for gaming not to mention very expensive. if you absolutely must have top of the line... its probably the best however i7-4770k or even i7-3770k isnt really all that bad and in some cases might perform better.

unless you have a dire need for it i would stay away.

-----

you really should build the pc yourself or have a local pc shop build it for you using parts you buy from online. you can get the best parts for the best price then. i think ncix has an option where they will build a pc for you with parts you buy from them. worth looking into as an option.
m
l
!