bios temps vs ai suite 3 discrepancy

spiralmind

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I know this has probably been asked somewhere by someone else, but I wanted a personal response and wanted to get feedback from the community in regards to my own circumstance.

I built a new pc using new parts, from Newegg of course. The mobo is an A88XM-A and the apu is an AMD A10-6790k. The computer was just assembled and has only been used for about 5 days. I've updated to the most recent bios (1003).

My bios temp reads 40-41c idling, and fan rpm is around 1700.
The ASUS AI Suite 3 gives me a reading of 30-32c idling, and fan rpm of about 1250.

From what I have read it is normal to have a discrepancy between bios readouts and software readouts. Does everyone here agree?

Do these temps seem high? There is one or more Newegg reviews that mention this processor runs a little hot. Anyone have a 6790k with these temps? I'm using a Silverstone heatsink/cooler.

I also realize since this was just assembled the thermal temps may level out after a few weeks time, due to the new application of thermal paste.

I'd just like to hear from anyone here in the community, especially anyone with a similar board and APU. Thanks for your time and feedback.

It doesn't seem high at all; it seems reasonable. And there often is discrepancy, one may read the socket temp while the other reads the core temp (socket temp is usually higher). You can use a program such as HWiNFO64 (sensors only mode) or HWMonitor to monitor both of these temperatures simultaneously. I wouldn't be concerned unless one of them exceeds 70C.

spiralmind

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Thanks Jook, anyone else concur?