First time Gaming PC Build. Can anyone review and give opinions?

weaveram

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I've been been reading through reviews on newegg and put this pc together as my first ever build. Would anyone recommend anything different? I want to eventually learn to OC so I'd rather buy parts now that are capable rather than spend more later upgrading to those parts. My original budget was $1000 but I could go a little higher if necessary. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to shed some light and share their knowledge/expertise with me!

Here's my build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2HWM7

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
For a little less than yours a better gpu,a good cooler and some other changes,just compare it to your build,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-T812-24PK-R2 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($309.49 @ Staples)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 White ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1102.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-26 15:49 EST-0500)

i put a case in that i like but the next is cheaper and is almost like your choice,
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefxlr2bl
or the next,
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-330r
Also still the option for sli.

In the next a ssd is added at the expense of the gtx 770 and another case,
PCPartPicker part list
Price breakdown by merchant

weaveram

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely be switching to a 750W PSU now and I'll look into that Zotac GTX 770. It actually came down to either the MSI Z87-GD65 or ASUS Maximus Hero mobo's for me but it seemed like a lot of people complained the MSI motherboards died on them or somebody they knew. Was there anything in particular you don't like about the Fractal R4 case or just like those other cases more? I like the sleek, non-flashy design and it seems like a big case but not huge like a full tower. And also what is the difference between the G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 RAM and G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-2400 RAM? Wouldn't the faster memory for the same price be a better choice? Thanks again for all the help and taking the time to do that for me!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With a case that has a window i like to match colors that's why i chose that ram on that motherboard,but if you go for your choice of case (and why not...) you could go for the faster ram too.It's your pc and your choice.
I chose the nzxt only because i like it and that it's a bit cheaper too,not because of that i think that the fractal is worse.

I just wanted to show that you could get a better gpu with that budget or a ssd with the same gpu as your choice,the rest is up to you.