Strange issue with controller causing lag

IAmElite

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I've recently come back to my combat flight sims because I've just upgraded to the following specs (only the GPU remains from the older config; it's running all my games fine).

New Specs: Gigabyte Z87-DS3H, CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 8Gb Corsair DDR3 1866mhz Vengeance, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, PSU: Corsair TX650v2

IL2-46, Rise of Flight and FSX are all running fine. The two giving me problems are Battle of Britain Wings of Victory and Strike Fighters 2 - they run with so much lag, they're unplayable.

I've sorted out the problem with Battle of Britain: after trying everything else under the sun (including different drivers, and running both games on minimal settings) for some insane reason, it turned out that the joystick was causing the slowdown (Speedlink Black Widow). I discovered that running with mouse controls eliminated the slowdown; the difference with BoB and SF2 is with BoB, I was able to remap everything under mouse controls back to the joystick to get silky smooth gameplay.

That solution isn't working with SF2. If I map the controls to the flightstick, I get unplayable lag. If I map them back to mouse or keyboard, I get no slowdown with all graphics set to unlimited.

I have already tried reinstalling Windows - that doesn't help either.

This is infuriating - can anyone here shed any light as to why this could be happening? Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Quick update: If I unplug the controller, the slowdown disappears - could this indicate something going on with the USB ports? It doesn't happen with all games though, that's the thing; if anything, it's only happening with older games. It's not a solution because when I plug the controller back in, the game doesn't recognise it anymore.

Thanks in advance.

IAmElite

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I think I've sorted it: I uninstalled the joystick's driver and now there is no slowdown - hopefully that's the end of this annoyance with all games now! I didn't think removing the driver altogether would help, but seems it did!