4TB HDD (already in GPT), formated and lost 2TB's

Damsel_

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Hello all. I tried to search the forums and Google for an answer and have failed. I only see a lot of replies saying people need to set their drive to GPT, which mine already is.

Here is a photo.
RnTwDhkl.jpg

Here is the situation.

I decided to format and do a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit after buying this 4TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD (WD4003FZEX 4TB). I intended to switch to UEFI and realized too late my motherboard doesn't have EFI to do this. So I formatted my original HDD and put the OS back on it intending to just use the 4TB drive as storage for now.

After I got back into windows the 4TB drive set with GPT was registering with 4 TBs (well slightly under it as those things go). After I got everything updated I ran Auslogics Defrag and it reported registry errors. Thinking I botched something I decided I would format again.

This second time around for some silly reason, I clicked on delete or format on both disk 0 (original HDD) and disk 1 (new 4TB). I didn't even think anything of it. Rinse repeat and back in windows. Updates behind me I open Disk Management and my brand new 4TB HDD is registering as less than 2.

I tried to reboot with it as Unallocated, then with a New Simple Volume. Tried shutting down and unplugged the SATA and Power and rebooting. Then putting the 4TB drive back in and booting up.

Please please wonderful people with knowledge help me to reset my fail.

Damsel_

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I uninstalled service pack 1. Rebooted. Reinstalled using windows update and the drive recognized the remaining space.