Advice for gaming PC upgrade?

Jack711

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Hello. I joined hoping that someone here could show me something that I might not be seeing. I've been shopping for new parts since the beginning of this month, and I have a few ideas, but I'd like your opinions.

Currently, I have a:

AMD Phenom II X4 970 processor (3.8Ghz)
ATI HD 7870 2GB
Asus sabertooth 990fx
Corsair 800W power supply
4gb corsair RAM(bad, I know)
1TB HDD 7200 RPM
60G OCZ SSD

I have $1000 to spend on an upgrade.

Obviously, the RAM is mandatory. Less obviously, I'm making the switch from AMD GPU to Nvidia.(unless one of you can definitively convince me otherwise.)

I'd like a processor upgrade. I thought of switching to intel, but the mobo purchase will pretty much annihilate my funds.

I was also hoping to save enough after the parts to have a 1920x1080 monitor! My current one is 1600X900.

What would you do? I'd really appreciate replies!

Solution
I don't see a reason in switching to intel when you already have such a good motherboard and it would be hard seeing it go to waste.

The fx 8350 gives similar performance to an i5 in gaming and you could probably add in a cooler and overclock it

Jack711

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

You know, it's uh. Funny. I guess that over the years I've really become as comfortable and knowledgable with PCs as I'd hoped. What you suggested was the first thing I thought. First thing I filled my newegg cart with. Still have enough spare for a monitor. It's probably what I'll do unless someone has something I haven't thought of or seen. I think that 8350, 8gigs of RAM, and GTX 780 will eat anything alive.

Thank you!!

Yes, there are better processors. Can modern gaming utilize them? I don't think so. I don't think any modern game can fully utilize the 8350 anyways.

Jack711

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

WOAH. Now that's something to think about. The CPU is weaker than my current one, but considering that it's intel, perhaps the numbers are deceptive.

I've heard bad things about crossfire and SLI. I don't want to end up dealing with a nightmare :/

Jack711

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

That motherboard looks unreliable. Very few reviews. I'm not sure I'm willing to trust it. That's the major game changer in this equation. I still have plenty of time to think about this one. I really WOULD like to make the switch to intel.

pakistanmz

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Man just get amd fx8350 .get a liquid cooler,a ssd and some more ram.oc your cpu to 4.6,a250$ monitor,the rest sink into your gpu.ur pc will eat anything also will be some futureproof

Scremin34Egl

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I don't see a reason in switching to intel when you already have such a good motherboard and it would be hard seeing it go to waste.

The fx 8350 gives similar performance to an i5 in gaming and you could probably add in a cooler and overclock it

Solution

Jack711

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I know. I love my beautiful motherboard. lol. Sadness would overwhelm me as I lay it in the attic. This case is closed. I can't do that.

rdc85

Honorable
Just jumped from pII x4 to FX-8320, I can see the different.. so I agree with the processor upgrade...

upgrade ram are mandatory........ else maybe new monitor, second SSD, or going/jump to WC (as learning purpose / hobby)......

new VGA is nice but not mandatory...

TRENDING THREADS