PC doesn't start up when it's cold

lind27

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Hi, as the title says, my Imedia Packard Bell U08-PV.U08 can't start up when stays turned off from some hours.

(Think after a night, it's really hard to start up)

This problem started about two months ago:

so when PC is "cold" and I power button it:

the CPU fan starts to run at maximum speed remaining always locked at maximum ... I mean pc turns on but doesn't start up (no beep, no post, black screen, nothing) ... As I said the only thing happens is the CPU fan that remains fixed at top speed... so I just can unplug power cord from wall socket

After a pair of attempts of this kind, usually the thing changes, as when I try again to turn on the pc, it turns on for about half second and immediately turns off (always no beep, no post, black screen, nothing). I mean the CPU fan also runs for about half second and immediately stops.
This happens for 3-4 attempts, then, the pc begins again to turns on with CPU fan going at top speed as I said above... and so forth......

Finally after several attempts overall (I mean not less than a dozen), magically I hear a perfect bios beep and pc turns on and starts up normally.
After it started up, it works great, it runs Windows 8 and there's no problem, software or hardware, all works very fine. I can do all I want, connecting usb devices, burning dvd,etc... all does great

Even I can restart or turn off the pc too, it will turn on and start up without any problem.

If it "becomes cold", doesn't anymore

My system is:

Phenom X4 2,2GHz
4GB ddr2 667mhz
GeForce 9200 256
Canberra FS motherboard
FSP 250 watt psu

lind27

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I already read that post, anyway it's a different situation, because there the pc works bad when is cold, but it boots up...

My pc really doesn't boot up when it's cold...

and then when it boots up... it works great right now

Sure as he says there, a big problem is finding out what is going on, when the problem is only when it's cold.....

I very agree

lind27

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Well, I've changed the psu (250W) with one (450W) of course working

Soon I can say the situation seems to have improved for sure, although the problem still persists...

I mean, with original psu the pc can cold boot up not earlier than a dozen of attempts usually.

Now with the second psu, it did after 4 attempts

Anyway now the pc is heated and it's booting up always at the first attempt

So I need to wait a few hours before trying again

lind27

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Well, after a few days, today I can say again that the problem, making use of the second psu (more powerful), has not been resolved fully

Of course, as I had seen, I affirm the situation has improved.

With the second psu pc cold boots up after just 4-5 attempts

lind27

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
So it should not be a psu problem.

In fact meantime I also tried both psu over another pc and both work fine