Sharing wifi connection via rj45 cable to a smart tv, how to do it the right way?

Dreawyn29

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Hello there,

I am currently using an Asus z87 pro motherboard in my desktop along with its on board wifi connection.

I have a samsung series 5000 smart tv that is standing relatively close to the PC and so far I have tried sharing the network via a bridge to get the tv to connect, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, most of the time it's either the TV or now PC connection that cuts out, so only one works at the time.

Tried doing ipconfig release/renew and with no real results, sure my TV started to work, but then I lost my computers connection.

I haven't tried messing with the router or so as I have no real idea of what I should do to fix this problem.

Both my windows and my tv get their IP address automatically , I also run a laptop in the same network which is almost constantly on, that never looses it's connection.

So how can I get to share my wifi to the smart tv via lan without losing connection on either at any point?

My modem is made by zyxel, if that matters, and it is also too far away to use a typical RJ45 cable to connect the TV straight to the router

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013

Have you considered powerline ethernet, or a wifi dongle for the TV? windows connection bridging is just a horrible black art :)

Are you sure it's too far? you can run an ethernet cable 100m :)