Very high CPU tempatures after new thermal paste application.

Is AMD for poor people?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

• No I love AMD

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Yes get Intel and stop being poor

• Total voters

CupTheYoutuber

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
So, today I got two brand new case fans (Both perfectly working, I've checked, I'm pretty paranoid about these things.) and some AS5 to apply to my CPU. So everything went swimmingly apart from needing to use a blow-dryer to melt the old paste off of the CPU as the HS (Its a stock HS by the way.) was stuck on. I loaded up Windows 7 and immediately checked my temps with the x64 version of HWMonitor and they read around 50-60 usually hovering around 50 ish while idle, which is pretty damn high imo. So I decided to play some games to get my avg load temps, I loaded up Syndicate (The new one.) as I have been playing through it and my avg temps is a heavy firefight with lots of DART use and a fuckload of explosions going on was around 75-80c which is the same as it was with the old paste. Around one or two hours in I BSOD'ed I immediately went into my BIOS and disabled OCGenie and let the system sit for a few minutes while off.

The information from the error after I restarted:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80085FF028
BCP3: 00000000B0800000
BCP4: 00000000000C0E0F
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\012814-12464-01.dmp
C:\Users\My name here\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-51745-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I still have the error dialog open while I type this. I've heard that Arctic Silver 5 needs up to 48 hours to cure properly, is that my problem? I'm going to turn the system off overnight to see if that helps. Also I can't confirm if the BSOD was caused by temps as I didn't have HWMonitor up at the time as I crashed while playing. Is my stock cooler a stock cooker? Do I need a RMA? I don't have much money in the bank so it's not a option to go out and get a 212EVO or something like that for a while. I applied the thermal paste in the usually recommended way (Pea sized drop in the center of the CPU, and then wiggling the HS around after installation to get it spread out.) the HS is tightly clamped down on the CPU also. The temperatures in the BIOS where around 60 for the CPU when coming off of load seconds after the BSOD.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Althon II X4 750k Black Edition clocked at 3.4ghz OCGenie brings it up to 4.09
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB
GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz edition
PSU: CX500w

Any responses or suggestions would be great, don't solve it by telling me to buy a new HS or whatever without a very valid reason besides "Cause AMD stocks suck" or just "AMD is for poor people" please.

You're OC on the stock cooler. There's your mistake. The stock coolers are terrible, when you see the size of an aftermarket in comparison you'll realize that. A hyper212plus is like $25

CupTheYoutuber

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Alright then, I'll look into a 212, my temps are still persistant with the OC disabled with little to no change. Right now with it disabled I'm still around 50c.

CupTheYoutuber

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

It would be a feat for me to have gotten a air bubble in there lol, I really took a lot of care to avoid that. I will look into the 212. Would you suggest I use the paste that it comes with or just my AS5, what brand does it come with?

it comes with a tube of a coolermaster paste. I used the coolermaster stuff and I'm happy with the performance. I did a little research before using it and it is suppose to be decent stuff too.

CupTheYoutuber

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Ok thanks man!

TRENDING THREADS