DDR2 Upgrade, Asus P5KC, Mhz, Latency, Voltage, Radiators, Manufacturer Corsair/KingMax etc,

If NO Overclocking, but DEFAULT or UNDER-CLOCKING values are used, what ram memory is better, WITH o

• Total voters

doctortonic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hello, I have a ASUS P5KC Motherboard, and 1Gb x 2pieces= 2 Gb of Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D PC3-8500

Now is time to upgrade and I wish to add more Ram memory to the system.

1) The Ram (corsair dom.) is running now at Pc-6400 (400Mhz), as I was unable to set them higher, although the motherboard should support higher frequency, and the ram module is able to run higher, maybe is some compatibility-stability-certification-bios issue, don't know why.

I wish to add another 1 Gb x2 or 2 Gb x2 etc to the system to have a total of 4 Gb, 6 Gb or 8 Gb, but can I do dat with a different manufacturer and with different latency?
I was thinking to add for example KingMax Mars DDR2 Pc 6400, or Elixir, Syncron, Kingston, Samsung, Hp another type/series of Corsair, etc, whatever that I will find to buy at good raport of quality/price/quantity.

From a PC/Mhz point view I can add any other ram but to be at Pc-6400, right?
But what happens if I will have the other modules from Kingston/Kingmax at Pc-6400 but with different latency timing and different voltage requirement? Will they be compatibile?
For example:

Set 1 (Yellow Slot) 2x1Gb of Corsair @ 400 mhz with 5-5-5-18-22 / voltage 1.8 V
Set 2 (Black Slot) 2x2Gb KingSton Mars @ 400 mhz with 5-5-5-15 / 1.80 V
Set 3 (Red Slot) 2x1Gb or 2x512Mb @ 400 mhz with 4-4-4-12-24 2T 2.2V (Zeppelin/Sycron/Elixir/Crucial/Aenen/Adata/Hp/TakeMs etc.)

2) Why some ram modules have radiators and other ram modules don't have that aluminium radiators although they could run at the same speed, latency, voltage etc?
- Is it just a marketing stuff and the radiator is useless
- The ram with radiators are better because they are cooling better
- The ram with radiator are worst because the circuit is getting hotter and it needs a radiator, and the one with NO radiator is better because is designed resist to higher temps / have such quality that it dosen'tt heat up

3) Anyone has a clue Why Is Asus P5KC unable to run at 1066 if is written in the specifications, and the Ram memory is OK? Is it so important to run "certified" ram manufactures for Asus motherboards to run at the full speed?

My Print Screen for Cpu-Z with Ram Memory that I already have

2uhwsno.jpg

The Motherboard:

P_500.jpg

Motherboard Specifications:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KC/

Thank you in Advance for answering, My best Regards!

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Hello,

1. This Chipset officially supports DDR2-800MHz, With the ASUS super Memspeed Technology, it natively supports upto DDR-1066MHz. When you install a DDR2-1066 memory module whose SPD is DDR2-800 make sure that you set the DRAM frequency item in BIOS to DDR2-1066MHz. Also make sure the FSB is set either to 1066MHz or 1333MHz. Read the manual and check Jumperfree Configutaion for details - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5K-C/e3155_p5kc.pdf

Yes, you can mix different brands as long as the specs are correct. Since, you have 1066MHz memory right now first try to run it @ 1066MHz (btw check the Memory tab in the CPU-Z for the right memory speed). If it works out then go with 1066MHz memory else you can go with 800MHz (PC2-6400) memory. By the way, don't go beyond 1.8v memory. Anything in between 1.35v-1.9v will be ideal.

Yes, in theory even if you mix different latency memory of same speeds all the latencies will default to the highest and run at the highest. So it should work. But I don't recommend the same for different voltage memory.

2. It's just advanced memory which goes beyond standard. The standard memory are made and tested as per the rules of JEDEC... but these advanced timing memory goes beyond what the official JEDEC states. So basically it has the same type of IC's but are programmed to run at higher speeds, with low latencies, with lot of headroom for OC and with integrated heat spreaders for improved thermal dissipation. High-end performance memory is designed for gamers, enthusiasts, case modders, and overclockers who require advanced levels of performance. This is just my opinion (correct me if i'm wrong).

Quality wise both have the same type of IC's. The reason for integrated heat spreaders is due to the fact when the memory runs at higher speeds rather than its SPD speed lot of heat is generated.. so to counter it they have the heat spreader. As for the whole system is concerned you will need a better cooling system or liquid cooling system.

If you ask me which would be my choice then Value-RAM (standard) for basic work and Advanced memory only if you are planning for overclocking or need advanced performance level.

Hope that helps.

doctortonic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Thank you very much, your answer helped me, I tried another one time to run @1066 playing in bios but with no luck, so I will buy 800 or 1066 memory which will be cheaper, anyway I will stay @800mhz and for a future upgrade I guess that I will change the system with all.

" By the way, don't go beyond 1.8v memory. Anything in between 1.35v-1.9v will be ideal. " >>> THIS HELPED ME A LOT! Thank you again!

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

:welcome:

My pleasure. Drop an update on how it works out. :)

doctortonic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
HELP ! THIS IS BECOMING A REAL NIGHTMARE !

Someone should SUE in court ASUS and CORSAIR !

Wierd things are happening here:

1. For a better compatibility I Upgraded with 2 Pieces of 1 Gb ( So now there are 4 Pieces of 1 Gb in Total)

- My OLD RAM IS CORSAIR CM2X1024-8500 running @800 Mhz
- My NEW RAM IS CORSAIR CM2X1024-8500, EXACTLY THE SAME MODEL, EXACTLY THE SIMILAR SPECIFICATIONS, ETC.

WITH THE NEW RAM THE COMPUTER IS NOT STARTING, I CAN NOT EVEN REACH IN BIOS !

NO SOUDS IS MAKING UP (as I had on some Dell when I had problems with the ram)

I TESTED THE NEW RAM AND IS WORKING 100% IN ANOTHER COMPUTER, PASSED THE MEMTEST 86 AND WINDOWS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC.

WTF IS GOING ON HERE?

- I can NOT start the computer in the combination of the NEW ram + old RAM or in the combination with ONLY the NEW ram.
- THE NEW RAM IS WORKING FINE ON ANOTHER COMPUTER !
- The COMPUTER STARTS INSTEAD WITH SOME OTHER KINGSTON MEMORY STICK + THE OLD CORSAIR CM2X1024-8500
-The COMPUTER STARTS WITH THE OTHER KINGSTON MEMORY STICK, NO CORSAIR
- The COMPUTER dose NOT START WITH the OTHER KINGSTON MEMORY STICK AND THE NEW CORSAIR CM2X1024-8500.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE ?!?!?!?!?!

THE ASUS SAY IN THE MANUAL ON THE QVL LIST THAT CORSAIR CM2X1024-8500 1024 PASSED THE 1066 MHZ TEST !
AND I CAN NOT START THE COMPUTER WITH THE buyed CORSAIR CM2X1024-8500 which are 99999% FINE on OTHER COMPUTER !

I played in bios with AUTO and Manual settings, with 800 Mhz, 1066, 667 WTF?

THE VOLTAGES ARE THE SAME ON THEM ! --->>> 1.8V when running @ 800 Mhz and @667

The ONLY THING THAT IS DIFFERENT IS THE REVISION NUMBER!

Please see Memory/Device Support on the asus suport page, for P5KC Memory QVL on

www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KC/#support

They don't say NOTHING BUT NOTHING AT ALL FOR THE REVISION NUMBER. What the heck is going on here?

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Have you tried updating your BIOS to the latest version? Also what are the specifications of the new memory, if you can let me know the part number? Also have you tried installing just a single module to see if it boots fine?