New graphic card not being picked up by 32 bit windows? Sound right?

tobobobo

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Dear all,

I have bought a new PC system and the graphic card inside (Radeon R9 270) is not being recognised by the *current* installation of Win Vista 32bit.

The PC company support line say they have no knowledge if the card would work under 32bit systems and that I should upgrade to 64bit - which I am. New version on its way.

However, just so I'm not incredibly disappointed when I install Win7 64bit and it still doesn't recognise my card, does this sound plausible? Are here cards that 32 bit Windows wont recognise?

Although my DXDIAG reports no graphic detected, I do get a 'vga' type picture and the card looks properly mounted and spins up fine (my cable is also plugged in the right socket).

So, does the above sound right?

tobobobo

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Well, the new system has 8gb in it, but I know Win32bit can only address 4gb of that.

(the Win 32 bit installation was just a get-by until Win7 64 bit is delivered, but the invisibility of the graphic card concerns me)

http://techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Try downloading the windows version you are getting from here.
You can activate it when your thingy gets there.

KalTorak

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Not only will it only be able to address just under 4gb of that, it includes vRAM, so that makes things even worse, you need a 64bit system, download one, you have 30 days to validate it. I am not saying install it illegaly, I am saying while waiting for your purchase to arrive make use of your digital product now.

If Win7 cannot see the GFX card, then let us know.

tobobobo

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Wow - I didn't know you could download them and activate them later.

I tried the Win 7 x64 Home Premium edition as thats the one I'm getting, but the link for that version didn't work.

Are there any others I could try?

tobobobo

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Just for anyone whose search bring them to this thread, after installing Win7 64bit, the graphic card was picked up without issue!

Who would have thought !

KalTorak

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Great to know a swap to a 64 bit system sorted it.

I would love to know if this was a vista problem or a 32bit system overloaded with ram problem.

Not something I plan to test though :)