Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking AMD 8320 need advice and opinions please.

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • AMD
Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2014 6:16:16 AM

Im new to overclocking amd chips, however I did research and learn a little before I did it. And wanted to ask you guys if everything looked good for my overclock.

Specs. ASROCK 990FX Fatailty Killer
AMD 8320 Overclocked to 4.1ghz
8gb Gskill Sniper 1866 DDR3.

My question is. In the bios I have the Vcore voltage of the cpu set to 1.265v it does not give me an option on this board to mess with the multiplier and leave the voltage set at auto (otherwise I would have just bumped the multiplier and left the voltage at auto for a easy overclock), when I stress test this cpu why does it only use 1.192v-1.2v and not 1.265 like i have it set in the bios ? If you look at my picture you will see what I am talking about. Temps on prime 95 max out at 61-63c on a hyper 212 evo (I may have to reapply thermal paste but I do not have good airflow in ,my case) to me I think these temps are ok since I will never max it out anyways.

What do you guys think? Here is a direct link to my picture as well http://s28.postimg.org/6w8b537kd/My_overclock.pnghttp:/...

online photo sharing" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

More about : overclocking amd 8320 advice opinions

a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:24:06 AM

you definitely need to do something about your case airflow and reapply your thermal paste. I have mine overclocked to 4600 @ 1.37v and I don't get over 66 core in prime95 after a 6 hour run with the same cooler.

edit: download HWMonitor...in that program cpu temp is the socket temp and package temp is the core temp.
January 29, 2014 7:30:44 AM

Well, Like I said i will never max it out 100% full load. When gaming the temps never go above 41c. And thats mainly all I'm using it for. It is a pain in the butt to remove that cooler and re apply thermal paste. I would have to take the motherboard out and then fan off and do it all over again lol. My case has 1 120mm side fan, and 1 120mm exhaust fan.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:32:33 AM

Start with doing something about your case airflow, since it doesn't matter how perfectly you have the paste applied if you don't have proper airflow to remove the heat from the case. If you still get high temps after that, then reapply.
January 29, 2014 7:37:01 AM

dacquesta1 said:
Start with doing something about your case airflow, since it doesn't matter how perfectly you have the paste applied if you don't have proper airflow to remove the heat from the case. If you still get high temps after that, then reapply.

Well I did have hwmonitor downloaded and in that case. After running Prime95 for just 20mins. package temp was 39c, and CPUTIN was 58-61c. Is that good?
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:39:29 AM

yes that is well within the limits...Do you have space on the back of your motherboard tray to mount the fan off the stock cooler? that will help quite a bit to remove the heat from the socket. Package you want to keep under 62c and socket you want to keep under 70c. After I rigged the fan from the stock cooler to the back of the cpu socket it dropped my socket temps about 10c which in turn helps keep package temps slightly lower as well.

edit: so while your package temps are 39c which is quite good, your socket temp is 60. Mine with the fan my package could be say 55 and the socket will be 56-57 vs 70+ without the fan on the back.
January 29, 2014 7:41:29 AM

dacquesta1 said:
yes that is well within the limits...Do you have space on the back of your motherboard tray to mount the fan off the stock cooler? that will help quite a bit to remove the heat from the socket. Package you want to keep under 62c and socket you want to keep under 70c. After I rigged the fan from the stock cooler to the back of the cpu socket it dropped my socket temps about 10c which in turn helps keep package temps slightly lower as well.

edit: so while your package temps are 39c which is quite good, your socket temp is 60. Mine with the fan my package could be say 55 and the socket will be 56-57 vs 70+ without the fan on the back.

I would say there is between 4-5 inches of space between the back of the cpu cooler and the 120mm exhaust fan.

a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:42:33 AM

no i mean literally behind the cpu socket where the backplate is. my case had a spot behind it for a 70/80mm fan.
January 29, 2014 7:45:03 AM

Well the VRM heatsink is in the way but ya I see what your saying now. I could probably mount a 70mm fan in there or see if I cant rig a dual north/southbridge fan in there.
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:46:19 AM

I have one on my vrm heatsink as well...Im saying literally the back of the motherboard. You know where the backplate for your cpu cooler is on the back of the motherboard? That's what I mean by cooling the cpu socket.

edit: on my case there is a square cutout behind my motherboard on the case through which the backplate for my cpu cooler is visable. I rigged a 70/80mm fan from my stock amd cooler over top of that cutout so it blows air directly on the cpu cooler backplate.
January 29, 2014 7:48:42 AM

dacquesta1 said:
I have one on my vrm heatsink as well...Im saying literally the back of the motherboard. You know where the backplate for your cpu cooler is on the back of the motherboard? That's what I mean by cooling the cpu socket.

edit: on my case there is a square cutout behind my motherboard on the case through which the backplate for my cpu cooler is visable. I rigged a 70/80mm fan from my stock amd cooler over top of that cutout so it blows air directly on the cpu cooler backplate.

a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:50:13 AM

on another note...your prime stable at 1.2v?
January 29, 2014 7:52:27 AM

I understand what you are saying. I have a sqaure cutout on my case as well. Now that you mention it I could probably get a slim 70/80mm fan in there. ONe thing I dont understand though, like right now idle temp of my cpu package is 18c, how is that possible when the ambient temp of my apartment is 72F, lol. Amd is weird. I thought when my fatality program was showing me my cpu temp I thought that was the one to go by for core temp. Because the Hwmonitor sensor called CPUTIN and the Cpu temp reading from My Fataility program that came with the motherboard are the same.
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:54:34 AM

the amd thermal sensor isn't accurate below 40c. Your fatality program looks like its using the socket temp as your cpu temp, which isn't wrong but you need to be aware of both.
January 29, 2014 7:55:39 AM

dacquesta1 said:
on another note...your prime stable at 1.2v?

Yes 1.2v tested for 1hr (didnt get the screenshot for that one) however once I try to bump it to 4.2ghz at that voltage cores 7 and 8 stop working so I assume I Just need to bump the voltage more. Where I have it right now is fine for me I want to let this thermal paste set in. That was one of my main questions though in the bios the vcore is set to 1.265 but cpu uses 1.192-1.2 does it just round off?
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 7:56:59 AM

do you have load line turned on?

edit: do you do small fft/large fft/blend for your stress test? I find blend to find errors the quickest and most reliably. If my system passes 6 hours prime I consider it stable.
January 29, 2014 8:00:17 AM

dacquesta1 said:
do you have load line turned on?

edit: do you do small fft/large fft/blend for your stress test? I find blend to find errors the quickest and most reliably. If my system passes 6 hours prime I consider it stable.

Ill check one sec gotta get into the bios and I run blend for the test.
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 8:02:38 AM

bear in mind once you turn load line on to where itll keep the vcore at 1.26 your thermals are going to go up.
January 29, 2014 8:03:39 AM

I went through the oc menu and and cpu menus and everything and there is no option for that. Everything that needs to be turned off or disabled I have disabled Cool n quiet c6 mode etc. One I didnt turn off was the cpu thermal protection didnt know if I needed to or not on that one.
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 8:07:56 AM

maybe someone with an asrock board can help you in finding that, I'm not familiar with your bios. It's gotta be in there under oc tweaker or advanced. Otherwise youll never get the steady vcore you need to go further.
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 8:09:41 AM

should be under oc tweaker cpu load line calibration
January 29, 2014 8:17:13 AM

dacquesta1 said:
should be under oc tweaker cpu load line calibration

I looked again its not there. I see that the ASROCK extreme have it in there UEFI bios but for some reason I dont.
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 8:18:56 AM

thats odd, it should be there.
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2014 8:19:29 AM

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of your board and bios will chime in.
January 29, 2014 8:22:10 AM

dacquesta1 said:
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of your board and bios will chime in.

WEll you have been very helpful and I appreciate your help. This is my first AMD build, Got a baby on the way so I sold my nice intel build haha. 3570k oc'd to 4.5ghz on stock voltage with 2 760 in SLI
!