Need a strong and upgradeable build

Semetery

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hello there,

My budget took a hit, so I'm down a few hundred bucks and wanting to build a strong base that I can upgrade over the next few months.

I do heavy multitasking, some video encoding and photoshop stuff and play a couple of games, the biggest probably being the Sims 3 (which my current, old 8600 will do for now until I upgrade the card).

I won't be overclocking in any fashion so I don't need any OC capabilities to be honest. If they come with the package at a good price (without paying more specifically FOR it), that's okay then, but it's in no way a priority.

Here's what I've got thus far, I want to buy all from newegg so I get it at the same time:

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Blue Edition Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 650 SS-650AM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

That's about $1,100 tax, shipping and all. I don't 'want' Windows 8.1 so much but I want the retail to be able to use in future builds so decided against the OEM version of 7.

If there's anywhere I can trim the fat, that'd be great but I figured this was a solid build so that I can add the gtx 760 and a WD Black 1tb later on.

Any suggestions would be great, I'd love to drop a little cost and still be safe for upgrading to the bigger GPU and adding another SSD and HDD later. Thanks, much appreciated!

You dnt have a graphics card so you wont be gaming in any reasonable way .

But some suggestions
The 4770 may be faster in encoding , but the 4670 will be as quick everywhere else
Use an H87 motherboard . Z87 is for overclockers
if the budget allows video may benefit from 2 x8 gig of RAM
You need a 500 watt psu max , unless you fit a top end graphics card
There is no oem or retail version of Win 8 . The version sold as oem has a "home user license " that lets you install it on 3 different sets of hardware , if you have removed it from the previous build . The version you are paying for is costing you $20 extra because it has the option of 32 0r 64 bit .

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

He said that he had an old 8600 but then again it is a weak and old card.

Semetery

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks! Yeah, I intent to hold on to my 8600 for just another few weeks, then it's up to the 760. I'm focusing on a powerful and speedy base that won't break the bank terribly nor need replacing anytime soon.

My usage style is aimed mostly at multitasking as I program, do graphics, video and web design all around. I figured the i7 would save me some time but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $90 or so dollars. I'm leaping from a Core2Duo E6550, so I imagine either will heavily alter what I can manage currently.

Is it worth the extra bucks do you think?

Also, regarding Windows, everywhere I have read that the OEM gets locked to the motherboard and I'd have to buy it again later where the 'full' version apparently allows 3 installs. Sucks but I guess I'll need to go full?