Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best storage solutions

Tags:
Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
January 29, 2014 2:46:28 PM

I have 4TB+ of movies on two WD external hard drives. These are plugged into my iMac, which is linked to all rooms of the house via a 24 port gigabit switch (Cat6 cable run through out) I also have AppleTVs in each room. Smart TVs, SKY and Xbox are all connected via Ethernet and phones, laptops and tablets use the wifi. I currently use iTunes/appleTV to stream the movies in the house and have Plex for when I'm out and about.
Is this the best way to store/stream these movies? Obviously money is an object...

I have just renovated my office and am looking for the best solutions.

More about : storage solutions

Best solution

January 29, 2014 2:49:59 PM

Best would be an NAS ..... Id suggest a 4 bay with two Seagate 3TB Bartracuda drives and expand from there as needed

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

January 29, 2014 2:54:16 PM

Obviously you need to turn on the Mac to get it working. As i can see you are networking everything so NAS would be a better option imo.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2014 2:55:36 PM

I am a big fan of the WD Black drives - in my HTPC setup I debated on NAS or installing the drives internally on my HTPC. I decided on internal drives, and I stream to 4 PC's, 2 phones and 1 tablet without issues.

The advantage of the NAS is you won't slow down the PC hosting the drives - the disadvantage would be the investment of $200 - $500 (or more) for a NAS appliance.
m
l
January 31, 2014 6:04:35 AM

Ra_V_en said:
Obviously you need to turn on the Mac to get it working. As i can see you are networking everything so NAS would be a better option imo.

Very true, the Mac has to be on 24/7 and iTunes running. Which isn't very green as I don't need it on all that time other than when I may want to watch a film etc. but don't want to constantly run upstairs and switch it on when I do. NAS seems to be the best option. Specially as I can increase the drive size as my collection grows.
m
l
!