Finished - New Mid-High Gaming Build

MrMKellow

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Hello,

Recently put together a build and I thought I’d share it with you all. I was aiming for a mid-high gaming rig that would play new titles comfortably at 1920x1080, averaging a minimum of 60fps+. I allocated a budget of £950 for the core components (also includes OS) and a further £200 for peripherals. I purchased all of the components from Scan and the total build cost for the components came to £940.21 whilst the extras came to around £178.68 for a total build cost of £1118.89. The build is as listed:

CPU: AMD FX-6350 6-Core @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
CPU Cooler - Be Quite! Shadow Rock Top Flow SR1
PSU - Corsair RM650 (650w) Gold
HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm
SSD - 128GB SanDisk Pulse
Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (black)
GPU - 2GB MSI R9 270X Gaming OC Edition

Extra:
23" Asus VS239HR LED IPS Monitor
Corsair K30 Backlit Gaming Keyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (OEM)

I have some images (although not the best quality) and some idle temperature readings alongside some gaming benchmarks. Couple things however; the cooler which I'd purchased was before deciding to switch to the Carbide Air 540, the room inside the case is enormous and I could have selected a much better cooler if I'd known. I do plan on replacing the Shadow Rock sometime(before summer) to water cooled solution, likely the Corsair H100i.

Before the images, is there anything you would have changed? Would be great to know your thoughts on the build and opinions the components. Now, to the images:

General Images:
AmvIW8s.png

26S3rX8.png

biZxfn5.png

oI7AqUd.png

A3kCupD.png

eueaaYk.png

haZYncL.png

UTNuS5k.png

5VsZCvs.png

qm9glCt.png

zY4NkMS.png

MvkEXCS.png

Temperatures:

I'll update more soon. Overall, I'm really happy with the build. I've benchmarked some games and everyone has reached a minimum of 60fps maxed at 1920x1080. I'll screenshot some numbers with MSI Afterburner and update the images section.

It looks great! Nice space management in your case too! (It's a huge case too I suppose... lol)

As for your parts, I don't know, I think I would've preferred an FX 8320, for the extra 2 cores, with a water cooler you can definitely kick up with a high OC. At least this is what I would've thought, but lately the prices of the 8 core FX's have been really high so the 6 core may have been a better idea.

Imo though, you did great with the core components, good parts at a decent price

MrMKellow

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Yeah. I'll be considering an overclock myself on the current CPU once I install the water cooler. I'm not too sure how far I can push it on its current voltage but I'm hoping for 200-300MHz increase to take it around 4.2/4.3GHz. With the suggestion for the 8320, thinking about it, it may have been the better option for another £20-30 or so. The extra threads may help in large multiplayer games. Thanks for the great comments though, much appreciated.

the Asus Sabertooths are high quality motherboards, it's a 990 chipset so it'll support dual graphics and have a larger power phase than 970 chipsets, and it has higher quality voltage regulating than most motherboards too, I'd say you should be able to get a 4.7/4.8Ghz with a water cooler, but it'll also depend on the luck of the draw with your CPU chip

TRENDING THREADS