Possible CPU/MOBO Damage

DaG_Ali

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Hi Guys,

A noob to the forum :)

I recently upgraded the CPU on one my systems to the i5 3570K and installed it with a Corsair H80 cooler, all was good for first few days then the pc started randomly freezing, as of yesterday the pc would power up but no signal was going to my monitor so I tried the following;

1. Cleared CMOS - no luck
2. Reseated the ram (tested in a working system) - no luck
3. Reseated the GPU (tested in a working system) - no luck
4. Tested with a different PSU - No luck

After trying the above I decided to reseat the CPU (firstly without the heatsink) everything booted up correctly, I then reattached the heatsink and bam no signal again!
So I repeated the above by reseating the CPU and tested the system again firstly without the heatsink and it worked but as soon as I reseat the heatsink it doesn't.

I've installed the cooler as I would have on any other system but this is the first time I've had this kind of issue, so for the moment I am at a loss!

Any ideas or suggestions?

DaG_Ali

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Yeah it is the MOBO, I did some more testing with it yesterday on my test bench and discovered a crack on the under of the cpu socket.
I must have been a little too aggressive with the installation of the cooler so I could possibly try to RMA it with a little white lie on how it it broke :p but I'll probably just buy one with a better chipset as the processor is a K series and chipset is H61.