Hard drive repair

eyeangle

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
My hard drive died. It was making a clicking sound so I tried all the software options I could to drive and recover the data. No luck.

I figured it must be to do with the internal of the hard drive. So i thought I'd open it up and have a look. Well the sound is coming from the head reader clicking. I thought, I have a spare HD I'm not using so I'll take out the two discs and put them in my working hard drive. No luck. Now I have two broken hard drives.

My question is this. Is there any way to read the discs from a hard drive? Like a disc reader of something? Is there any (cheap) way to get them fixed now that I have completely pulled them apart?

Z-Tech

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Unfortunately, once you open a drive, a tiny speck of dust can cause huge problems. Since it is open, have a close look for anything out of place, put it back together, and try again to read it. If you are lucky enough to retrieve your data, then do so and dump the drive. You can try Spinrite on the drive, since it really can't hurt at this point.
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
There really isn't a cheap option in sending it out, so if you really need the data it will cost quite a bit sending it to a data recovery company.