Will this GPU Bottleneck... and can i run next-gen Games?

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
So I am going to get this GPU (unless your guys get a better one for same price)
Asus Radeon HD 7770, to go with my CPU
AMD Athlon x4 3.2GHz and my 6GB RAM.

Will the GPU Bottleneck my CPU and by how much? Will it limit my CPU performance? or will i not be able to use the ful capacity of the GPU?

And One last Question! :p

Will i be able to run these Next-Gen Titles, like Watch Dogs, GTA 5, Battlefield 4 ETC

Thanks so much:

My specs currently:
AMD Athlon x4 3.2Ghz (740)
6GB RAM
Asus Radeon HD 7750 1GB GGR5

Icaraeus

Honorable
You'll be able to play the latest and greatest, but if you want to play at high+ settings you'd need something like a HD 7870/R9 270(X)/GTX 660Ti. That's only around $170-200. I'd also recommend you get a different CPU, though the one you have is fine.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I don't want to really play at high+ just enough to see what the next gen games can do. Medium settings are fine for me, but like I say will the GPU bottleneck my CPU ?? Etc

But thanks for quick reply

Icaraeus

Honorable
Your CPU shouldn't be an issue, though if you want yours to last a very long time invest in an intel i5 CPU $170-250 which will be able to handle practically any GPU on the market, even if you have multiple GPU's that are top of the range (HD 7990/R9 290(X) etc).

You could try looking at AMD's rebranded GPU's which are based off the HD 7700-7990 - they're decently priced and perform better than their 4-digit counterparts. Frame rate shouldn't be an issue if there is as there is a new graphics driver coming out if you choose AMD that can (potentially) increase performance by up to 50%, though it can actually be as low as 2-3% - it depends on your setup.

Icaraeus

Honorable
I believe it'll affect GPU's with Graphics Core Next (GCN) tech, primarily the new GPU's made by AMD. Your 7750 probably won't be affected by the new drivers. However, you can find a R7 GPU with the same performance as the 7750 that can take advantage of the new driver.

Icaraeus

Honorable
You could if you wanted, but the R7 250 is newer tech for the same price and performs better, though it's up to you. You will also be able to take advantage of the Mantle AMD API in future games, providing up to 50% better performance depending on your rig and the game. It won't bottleneck your CPU.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
So if i got this, will it boot my performance?, any game... would it be noticeable.

I also noticed it doesnt need an extra power connector, thats odd for a graphics card that is quite powerful? So this could play the latest and greatest right, Medium settings 30fps+?

Thanks

My specs:
AMD Athon x4 740
6GB RAM
(would be) Asus R7 250

Icaraeus

Honorable
It 'may' boost your performance, it depends on the game. I haven't done too much research about the R7 250 so I didn't know about the power connectors, though if it only requires one power connector then that's better - saves case clutter.

As for how well it performs in different games I'd say you'd be good for medium at 30+ FPS, but new or demanding games like Star Citizen, Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 may require you to drop your settings (if you download the Mantle drivers for Battlefield 4 it won't be necessary for that game - you'd be able to play at medium).

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Well thanks, im going to get the game, to do a "test run" see how well it does with my current. The R7 250 seems to be to good to be true "/

Or should i just get this for an extra £40? Because its much better, and seems like something you pay for that you will get your moneys worth? MSI R7 260X 2GB GDDR5

Thanks

EDIT: can you tell me how i can know if a 2 slot GPU will fit in my case, ive got like 4-5slots?

Icaraeus

Honorable
If you can afford to buy the R7 260X then there is no reason why you should go with the R7 250 seeing as there is a significant difference between the two, unless you are obsessed with saving $20 off your electricity bill.

If your motherboard has 4 PCI(e) slots then you will be able to have up to two GPUs - definitely one.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Yes actually, im going with this, brand MSI, better shell haha.

But how will i know if the grapics card 2 exspansions slots, will actally fit in fine on my computer? I do have enough of them...

But thanks for your help!

Finally , you agree http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Graphic-128-Bit-DL-DVI-PCI-E/dp/B00FSD4ZAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391586191&sr=8-1&keywords=MSI+r7+250, this is the right one. Good one at that?

EDIT: I DONT KNOW NOW BECAUSE IM SEEING QUITE A FEW BAD REVIEWS AND ITS PUTTING ME OFF, IF I CAN I THINK ILL GO WITH THE 260X

Icaraeus

Honorable
Well if reviews are bothering you just go with the HD 7790 if you don't want to spend more, there's not much difference between the two anyway - the R7 250 is just newer tech based off existing GPU's with a slight performance boost - just like all the other R7/9 GPU's with the exception of the R9 290(and X) which are top-of-the-range.

The R7 260X would be a better option if you can stretch your budget a few extra $$, though the 7790 is still a good option.