AMD Catalyst Beta Driver with Mantle Support Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
I don't see any issue with thiswould you rather they release a buggy set of drivers that breaks everything and just causes havoc or would you rather wait a bit and get a non buggy set of drivers?

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I wonder if this new driver will allow me to fold and watch telly at the same time with my 7790?
i don't fold, but i'd imagine you could just set a lower priority to threading and a higher priority to whatever you use to watch?

Trust me when I say that this is not my first rodeo and it doesn't work. An AMD card cannot fold whilst the TV software is running but an Nvidia card can (a 560Ti in this case).

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
This whole thing does make think of all the folks who said that Mantles delays were all because of Dice...Hopefully Star Citizen won't be the next game to support mantle. I mean it's not even fully funded and over a year away from a fullish launch. Factor in the seemingly inevitable delays... :(

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
This whole thing does make think of all the folks who said that Mantles delays were all because of Dice...Hopefully Star Citizen won't be the next game to support mantle. I mean it's not even fully funded and over a year away from a fullish launch. Factor in the seemingly inevitable delays... :(
Robert Space Industries already announced they support, and utilize, mantle...they were literally next in line from Dice to announce support for Mantle. They've far surpassed the money raised to create star citizen, and have added features to the development cycle because the community pitched so much money to them.

So have they published a release date?

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Trust me when I say that this is not my first rodeo and it doesn't work. An AMD card cannot fold whilst the TV software is running but an Nvidia card can (a 560Ti in this case).
The 7790 and the 560Ti are in different leagues all together...if he mentioned a 7870 I could see your comparison of overall brand functionality.

How so when it comes to folding?

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
So have they published a release date?
No, they have not. But as to your original post, "Hopefully Star Citizen won't be the next game to support mantle." they've already announced they support mantle.

So had DICE and look how that's turning out! :lol:

Just admit that mstngs351 made a valid point and stop being an arse.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
How so when it comes to folding?
I have limited knowledge of running folding@home. I know its GPU intensive, are you suggesting that ANY AMD Card ("An AMD card cannot fold whilst the TV software is running") would be unable to multitask including other low end AMD cards?

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
So had DICE and look how that's turning out! :lol:Just admit that mstngs351 made a valid point and stop being an arse.
Fresh new tech running into complications at launch? Never heard of that before. How is stating that he hopes Robert Space Industries does not support mantle, when they announced they do, a valid point? Furthermore, the tech is still fresh, I'm not expecting it to cause every GPU/CPU to be faster than every one of their competitors products, but free performance is something we should be touting as a good move on a companies behalf. Also its not like the game cannot be played without Mantle, its just another piece of arsenal a consumer can utilize, sometime in the near future of course. They attempt to utilize new tech for gamers, bash them. They are a month late, bash them. When its released and someone gets a boost, albeit lower end consumers, bash them. And I'm the one being an "arse"?

slimething

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Now this is confusing:http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-mantle-catalyst-driver-delay-labeled-142-beta-gpus-support/Mantle Catalyst Driver Supports All GCN Based ProductsUpdate – AMD has just updated through twitter that their upcoming driver would support and enable mantle for all existing and upcoming GCN based products. AMD also assures further optimization with future released of the catalyst driver. The Mantle Catalyst driver 14.2 BETA will initially feature support for only four GPUs at launch which include the Radeon R9 290X, Radeon R9 290, Radeon R7 260X and the Radeon R7 200 series integrated Kaveri APUs. Kaveri looks more interesting since we have seen upto 50% performance improvement with the Radeon R7 260X and A10-7850K in the official benchmarks. Ofcourse, the press would be able to review the driver release early on and would be given an exclusive 24 hour period to evaluate the features and performance of the 14.2 BETA drivers before they are publicly released.

heheh.....This didn't stop the AMD fanboys last night, claiming to perceive all this new improved performance in between maps in BF4. BF4 now has a splash page up saying Mantle is fully integrated when you login. It was hilarious to say the least. They all found a leaked driver with Mantle implemented or they have taken one too many headshots.... to the dome. On more than one server, I kept seeing them chat it up!

A 7790 doesn't so why would I purchase other AMD cards? It is a GCN 1.1 card after all and as such was the latest and greatest when I bought it.

Mantle was first supposed to be released in December last year and was delayed or have you not worked that out? So wishing that any other game doesn't have it and therefore won't be delayed because of it seems like a valid wish. Or don't you get that?

It should be obvious by now that AMD fans can't get their heads around that! :lol:

Sep 22, 2013
They can claim bugs as the cause, but I have a feeling that since the update for BF4 to fully support Mantle still hasn't been released, neither will the driver. That update was supposed to come in January, too. I'd be willing to bet it will be released coincidentally close to the driver.

**EDIT** - UPDATE: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/battlefield-mantle-catalyst-drivers,25908.html

Hmm... suspiciously close together? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.