XFX Double D 7870 GHz edition vs. MSI GTX 760

CaughtTheTater

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I put together a new rig at Christmas, and have all new everything except for the video card(s). I was planning on waiting until the market stabilized a bit since prices are very inflated right now, but my 8800GT Graphics card finally crapped out on me. I've decided that the $200 price point is where the best value is right now, and am stuck in a dead heat between two cards...

XFX Double D 7870 GHz edition Black for $199 after rebate

Vs.

MSI GTX 760 for $199 after rebate and a copy of AC4 (which I already own but can sell)

Both are the same price after rebate, and doing a compare... I really can't decide which to go with. The 7870 appears to have slightly better specs, but is older tech, while the 760 is just slightly behind it going by what is put on Newegg, however, the 760 is a tier higher than the 7870 on the Tom's hardware Hierarchy list. If you guys could help me decide, I would greatly appreciate it. My goal is basically to play games on high settings, and have a card that will hold up for 3 or 4 years. I guess it is also worth noting that the XFX card has a lifetime warranty while the MSI is 2-3 years.

Here are my specs:

The 760 takes the performance. It offers better performance on a newer architecture, as well as having Physx and other helpful features.

However, I would not recommend that 760, or any with a blower cooler for that matter. They tend to run hot and loud. Get one with ACX/DCU II or similar cooling. Then get the 760.