Why Microsoft's $100 Xbox Rebate is Not a Great Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
the better deal would be to buy a PS4 instead, you're guaranteed to save a full $100 right off the top AND you get to keep your old console!

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
""To be eligible for trade in, product must power on and be in fully functional, working condition without broken/missing components, cracked display/housing or liquid damage, cannot be password protected, and include original chargers/accessories."How does that translate to "perfect condition"?

geeez

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Have you tried to sell a console on eBay. I had the newest Xbox 360e console brand new in the box and only got $130 for it. How much for a used one. Around $65 to $95 depending on model and that's in great condition. Don't let this writer fool you into thinking you can do better on eBay. Its a great deal. Some people need something to write I guess.

You left money on the table then. If you did a 7-Day auction, you could have used a Reserve. If you did a Fixed Price, you accepted way too low of an offer if it really was New - Never Opened.

In the last 30 days alone, there have been 14 New Xbox 360e consoles sold from $174-$248

itsderekdude

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
If you buy a PS4 and sell your PS3 for $200, you are only out $200

If you buy a XB1 and trade your PS3 in for $100, you are only out $400.

Yea, great deal there...

Sure, it is another option. It just doesn't benefit you as much. Even Used Xbox 360e's during that same 30 Day window.... more than 40 sold between $170-$104.

Don't hate me because I deliver numbers.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Damn, I was hoping I could trade in my old xbox (RROD) and my current xbox that I haven't even hooked up to my TV since I moved 3 years ago. $200 off would actually tempt me to get one. Even then I'm not sure that $300 is worth it for a console when I already have an upper mid-range gaming PC (which is far better than the current consoles).

And do what with all the games? XBone doesn't play 360 or PS3 games, so, what would you do with the games? They should add in a credit for turning in games as well, be it toward the XBone or new games, there should be something. It should include any game playable on a 360 or PS3, as many people play their old PS2 and XBox games as well, when compatible.

G

The person who decided to release this promo does not go to ebay/craglist/kijiji. How ignorance.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
""To be eligible for trade in, product must power on and be in fully functional, working condition without broken/missing components, cracked display/housing or liquid damage, cannot be password protected, and include original chargers/accessories."How does that translate to "perfect condition"?
Well put. It doesn't translate into "perfect condition" at all. There are times in which I have strong contempt for the writing here at Tom's Hardware. I've been reading at this site for many years now, but sometimes I just feel that it is a waste of time reading the hacks and the stupid comments. Something similar happened with the Register, I simply no longer read at the site. So their pathetic bias and click bait "journalism" turned into no clicks at all.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I better deal would be to ...- Drop kinect- Removed Bluray optical drive- Replace HDD with a 1TB model- Replace junky ass motherboard that has soft caps- Increase Fan speeds and GPU clock rates- Sell for $349-$399Current model can be the Complete Home Entertainment ModelNew model can be Gamer Pro Edition This is what the people want. Now make it happen Microsoft!

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Microsoft should pull an advertisement based model similar to Amazon's Kindle and market the price around $250.00. Most of the revenue from these consoles come from games no matter if it is a rental or store purchased game or content.

Sep 22, 2013
1). IF I was going to buy an Xbone, it would have to be cheaperm before rebates or trade-ins, than a PS4, because it's simply an inferior system.2). The PS4 is already $100 less, an if you want the extra accessories you have an OPTION. This would be the better choice for MS - make Kinect an option.3). Even if MS offers their system without the Kinect, they'll still want $399 for it and it simply is not worth that price.There is nothing that makes the Xbone more or even equally attractive as the PS4. Why would I want to ditch my last-gen system that still has plenty of titles only to get a system with fewer titles for more money than its worth?

hardrock40

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I better deal would be to ...- Drop kinect- Removed Bluray optical drive- Replace HDD with a 1TB model- Replace junky ass motherboard that has soft caps- Increase Fan speeds and GPU clock rates- Sell for $349-$399Current model can be the Complete Home Entertainment ModelNew model can be Gamer Pro Edition This is what the people want. Now make it happen Microsoft!
I agree up to where you said drop blu-ray drive. People wanted one in the x360 but MS would not install one. Now we got it in the XB one and you say get rid of it. To make the XB one a complete multimedia/Gaming system it has to include the blu ray drive because it makes it the all in one living room entertainment system thus making it possible for people to remove their old out dated dvd players or older blu ray player & use only one device for everything. The kenect should be optional just like sony's eye thingy which would lower the price by about $100 without the kinect making it even on price with the PS4. They also need much larger HDD installed in a future XB one. I don't own either new console & do not plan on buying them at least until they are in second release with most of the bugs worked out of them. I do have a Gaming PC that serves my needs well actually 2 gaming PC's which out shine these new consoles in every way.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
The fact is I own over 30 xbox 360 games and about 10 xbox games , many of these i have no intention of ever trading in (halo 1-4 plus off shoots). and even countless xbox live games, NONE of which will play on the xbox one. yeah does not sound like a deal to me at all. three things need to happen before i even consider the xbox one with out a trade in , let alone tarde in to loose all the games i got now. Those two things are 1. backward compatibility with xbox 360 and xbox games and 2. backward compatibility with xbox live games. 3. xbox live games need to carry over (this sort of goes with out saying) right now the xbone is just that a big bone up the rump unless you never owned any of MS's previous consoles (so there for have nothign to loose in the getting one or unless you just got a ton of room for consoles to sit around your tv (i don't just room for one console).

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Thank you Microsoft for offering me another option. Screw the writers and people that try to turn a POSITIVE into a negative.
Why do you see it that way? Maybe it's better to have people warned that it may not be the "deal" they think it is than to be duped by yet another corporate. I'd rather have the truth so I can make an informed decision than to know I have options but don't really understand what the trade-off is. MS is making an attempt sure, but if you're savvy with your money and you have a mint console then you may well be better selling it for hard cash and retain your right to still get the best deal on a new console, and that may even include choosing the PS4 too - not the XBone - leaving you with "options" again...

Have you tried to sell a console on eBay. I had the newest Xbox 360e console brand new in the box and only got $130 for it. How much for a used one. Around $65 to $95 depending on model and that's in great condition. Don't let this writer fool you into thinking you can do better on eBay. Its a great deal. Some people need something to write I guess.
Definitely true.
If you buy a PS4 and sell your PS3 for $200, you are only out $200If you buy a XB1 and trade your PS3 in for $100, you are only out $400.Yea, great deal there...
No way anyone is paying $200 for a used PS3.Either way, neither one of these "next-gen" consoles even come close to a great gaming desktop, but they are cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.