New Ram Memory gives me BSOD and hot HDD

lordtroller

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Hello, didn't know if posting this here or in the Storage forum:

I have a 2x2 GB Ram configuration (using right now), however, I upgraded to 2x4 GB and I've been getting a lot of BSOD and restarts, the temperatures usually go to 52 C (not sure how many Farenheit, maybe 125?). The blue screen restarts and freezes at crcydsk,sys for a moment (Something like that)

My 2x2 gb has a 50 Celsius right now, so maybe it's not that issue??

This is my laptop

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-p-7805u-fx/4507-3121_7-33496191.html

This is the upgrade recommendation

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Gateway-memory/P-Series/P-7805u+FX+Edition-upgrades.html

And this is the RAM I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-DDR3-PC3-10600-PC10600-1333MHz-SODIMM-LAPTOP-2x-4GB-/260814559414?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

I must say, some hours ago, I dissassemblied my laptop FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, found a good bunch of dust (I mean, a lot, covering the GPU), cleaned everything, I must say that the thermal waste was kind of non existant, but enough of it already.

After I did that, I installed the 2x4 GB Ram, used for some minutes, used a video edition program, rendered something, temperature was at 50 C/ 125 F and then restarted with BSOD, HDD was really hot but I had never opened and checked it before, so maybe that's normal.

Replaced the 2x4 GB with the original 2x2 GB Ram modules (the ones I'm using right now), temperature at 48 and probably will decrease to 45, installed new Nvidia drivers, new Bios too.

What do you think the problem could be??, I'll go to sleep after this but when I wake up I'll install the 2x4 GB Ram modules and see how it goes.

I'm using Vista x64, formatting will fix my problem?, I want to install 7.

lordtroller

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
I have 2 options, return and get new modules, or format.

Since I need this fixed ASAP, I will return it and get new ones under warranty, but formatting all my stuff is part of the plan too, hope this works, I could test the Ram and it's an improvement over the 4 GB I have, specially under shitty Vista.

jemm

Distinguished
I don´t know if formatting would be a solution since it is a hardware related issue.

I´d return the kit, and get a new one with the correct voltage.

lordtroller

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Yeah, I better return them, formatting is part of my plan anyway, but I'll have to wait until I fix this issue.

Besides, I ran chkdsk /F and could see it was a "memory management" issue (when using the 2x4 GB Ram modules), so I hope I get a new one and that's it.

UPDATE:

I'm still returning them, but I performed a RAM check with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and using separate Ram modules at a time, found that one of the modules detect a problem, that was the reason of the BSOD, I'm using a single 4 gb module at a time with no problems.

Anyway, I'll send both modules so the seller can do a proper double checking and send me the new ones.