• Fx4300

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I3 3220

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I was planning on doing a fm2 build with msi a75ma-e35 but there was no upgrade path so decided to go with am3+. The fx 4300 quad core will work with the GA-78LMT-USB3 and Pny optima 4gb ddr3 1333mhz? Also, I have the gt630 4gb msi and in the summer I will get gtx 660. These are the best parts I can get with my own money as a 13 year old, (Christmas money and from selling old components). This can fit in a micro atx case and be powered by cx430 right (I already have functioningg pc with rosewill ranger m and cx430, but I am just swapping out from old C2D. Anyways, I don't want to go with intel because I use cad to 3d model and will later get fx8320 next Christmas. Thanks!

jnewegger23

Distinguished
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2LSYi

When you get a moment, check out the website above. I put together the components you listed. According to pcpartpicker you should have no compatibility issues. You seem like a pretty intelligent kid. Keep it up! I like your game plan. You are thinking ahead properly. The only thing I'd suggest is if you could afford a bigger case so you can go regular ATX and not be limited due to space constraints of a micro atx. Even then you could probably sell your old rig or use it as an htpc or something but I understand gaming on a budget at your age. This should help greatly. Try playing with other configurations on the pcpartpicker too and see if you can find any areas you can improve with your budget. You're off to a decent start with room to upgrade. Have fun with the process!

Thanks,

Justin S.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Hi! Thanks for the response! I will get the gtx 660 as a present and from my birthday money which will hopefully be more than 60$ will buy a larger case such as the cooler master haf 912. Also, would you recommend the i3 setup because that is similarly priced, but is missing things such as usb 3 and it only has 2 slots for ram (But they are 1600mhz) 1333 vs 1600 won't be noticeably in games right? My current case is pretty hard to work in... Also, i'm a bit scared to install the amd heatsink because it seems kind of complicated, but since I can make my way around building a whole computer, I should be able to figure it out. I was also wondering if this setup is good for future upgrades. Thanks!

jnewegger23

Distinguished
You're welcome! Did you take the time to check out the website I linked you to? What did you learn?

If you go the amd route the am3+ socket is better than just the am3. If you go the intel route the 1150 socket is probably the best value for gaming but motherboards have been cycling very fast as of late so keep that in mind. I don't think the i3 is that much of an edge over the fx model you chose. If you want to be able to upgrade I recommend this setup:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2MgOH
It's $80 more, has 2gb of the same card you picked out to save some cost difference as you will not utilize the extra 2gb at this level, however, the motherboard is full atx and sli capable. This way you don't have to worry about upgrading your mobo. Also the psu is much more solid and can handle your gtx 660 later with confidence. The biggest plus is that intel has been dominating amd with this setup. I have the same motherboard actually. It overclocks well with solid components. Plus if you try to upgrade to an i5 or i7 down the road I know it works fine as my i7 destroys using this mobo. I'd actually want you to get a stronger psu like 750 or 850 but that just stretches everything so much further past your budget. All that said, it would also require a larger case to begin with. Your original plan is fine. What I'm recommending might delay you a little bit making you have to save up a little more first but would let you upgrade faster. You have to decide which route is better for you. If you can save a little more you'll have a better system to upgrade with my recommendation but you'll have to wait a little longer to execute it at first.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Hi! I got my parts on Thursday, and installed them the same day! They work awesome. I'm idling at between 25-35 degrees on my stock cooler, and around 50-60 under a load. I like the build, and it works nice. I did a little case mod and added a few more fans to my case to improve cooling. I added 2 fans to the side panel. I am currently using the 80mm fans on the side as intake and my front 120 as an intake, and a back 80mm as exhaust. Does this sound good? Temps are pretty good. I am now planning on buying a gtx 650ti ssc evg or a r7 260x 2gb gddr5. Which is better? I will get that in around a motnh or at most two, and at the end of next month sell my old broken galaxy s3 to my friend for 80$ and buy a nzxt source 210, and a fan controller (maybe the case and a new power supply like a cx 600). Sorry for the late reply.

jnewegger23

Distinguished
It's fun right? Which setup did you get exactly? Temps look good! Already modding too! Keep rolling! I like your air flow concept as it sounds like you have a little more pressure coming into the case yielding a net positive pressure; this helps keep dust out, cool air in and hot air expelled more easily. With regard to these two cards...they are so close it's a matter of opinion. I tend to favor getting nvidia when possible simply because of greater driver reliability plus the new shadow play works really well at recording games in hd (I'm sure amd has an equivalent but I'm not as familiar).

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Hi! I am probably going to go for amd because of the mantle technology and In games like bf4, I will hopefully get a 20-50% performance boost.

Fx 4300@ 3.8ghz (overclocking in a few months )
Gt630 4gb, upgrading to r7 260x 2gb gddr5 @1.1ghz
4gb Pny optima 1333mhz ram
Gigabyte ga78lmt-usb3
Rosewill RNAGER m micro atx case. (120mm intake, 2x 80mm intake, 80mm high performance rear exhaust.. All blue and red illuminated so it looks cool :p)
2tb wd green (taken out of a wireless hard drive I didn't use
Corsair cx430 80+ bronze, second edition
Stock CPU cooler, in a few months might get hyper 212 evo and maybe a new case like the haf 912, or nzxt source 210