Intel i5 4670k GTX 780

DurbSauce

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Hey I'm a pretty newb over clocking and i started getting into it yesterday I'm just looking for some feedback and tips on how ive been doing so far. For my GTX 780 I'm using evga precision X and i over clocked it to 103% power, The temp target is 87% and the GPU Clock offset is 155Mhz and the Mem clockoffset is 295mhz. It gives me 1136mhz, on the meter thingie in evga. but when i benchmark it in heaven i get Graphics: 1362Mhz and Memory: 3354 Mhz. The temps on my Asus gtx 780 always go between 76-79% with 70-75% fan speed. The voltage on my 780 is 1.1620V(this never changes... even on stock 780 my voltage is this when under load) I had a few "driver has failed to display" crashes but i feel like i can just tone it down right? as long as i dont touch voltage or do something stupid like +1000 offsets i should be fine right?

my CPU is an intel i5 4670k. My goal is 4.5ghz but I'm wondering if i should go any further. These temps are kind of a bit high already i feel. I currently made it 4.3ghz by changing the voltage to 1.193V. I also made it DDR3 Ram 1600MH and then i changed something else to 15700(the default was 15000, forgot which option lol.. something to do with ram)

I ran prime for like 2 hours and no problems. The maximum Temp i got was 74% it went between 60%-74% majority of the time. I'm using a hyper cooler 212 evo for cooling.

Tips would greatly be appreciated.. and goddam overclocking is addicting. I spent like 6 hours just looking at other peoples set-ups and tweaking my own. Oh and bonus points for someone that can tell me what this buzzing is from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFLzQL6WL0

Yes just tone down your overclock, and actually what you can do is start from scratch,
start with overclocking the core clock first before touching the memory clock, and then start at something lower like +100mhz on the core and 0 on the mem clock, and gradually up the core clock until you get a crash, then dial it back down by around 20mhz. after you get that stable without crashes, THEN start working on the mem clock (leave core clock at the max stable you found) basically repeat this process with frequent testing of the overclock

also sounds very much like a fan rubbing against something. check to make sure none of your fans are missing a fan blade, as well as that they are all properly secured.

It doesnt sound like coil whine to me, but this is another possibility, which is normal when overclocking and running stress tests

also temps should not be given as a percentage, they should be given as a temperature in either degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius and max temps on the processor should never go past 80 Celsius, and the same goes for your gpu

DurbSauce

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
thanks.. lol i messed up by accident putting % for the temps. I will take your suggestion and do that for my 780 and the sound from my pc. The sound how ever has been happening since long before i even over clocked. Thanks again!

Should i test this with heaven or 3dmark or somthing else like kombuster. and for how long should i do it to know its stable. And when i find my max core clock should i increase the mem clock in intervals of 100 as well? or something lower like 50?

NO increase at intervals of 10mhz at a time. start low at like 50mhz for the mem and go up by 10 at a time.

overclocking is a tedious process, and if you want to do it right, you go slow and find your stable clock speeds.

the sound could also be a hard drive causeing vibration when it spins.

DurbSauce

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
alright will do. is there anything i can do to for the sound? I checked the fans and nothing touches it at all and i dont really know whats causing it. played a game while looking at everything inside my machine and the sound starts theres like no change. The sound never heppend for like the first 4 months. Only been happening as of jan 3rd or 4th. Anything i can to pinpoint this.. I thought about taking off a few fans and playing something to see if this sound comes back but i dont know if thats smart.. could over heat very fast.

literally all you have to do is put your finger in the center of a fan to stop it (just don't hit the blades of you will cut yourself or break the fan) most of the noise is from fans. i can hear it. The other bit of noise sounds like it is coming from either a hard drive or disc drive. It is from a moving part on your computer, end of story based on the sound