PC freezes when under stress

FranzVrolijk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
My PC has been freezing ALL of the time for a while now. It only happens when it is under load, such as if I am playing games, also often when I've been using FL Studio for several hours.
The whole screen goes still, and my PC reacts to NOTHING. Fans and everything keep going.

Seeing as it crashes when using FL Studio, I doubt it's because of my GPU, seeing as FL isn't graphically intensive at all.
I also doubt it is my CPU, since I just got a new processor and cooler.

I've been searching around, and it seems that it might be something with my RAM. I ran Memtestx86 or whatever a while ago, no issues. Considering to do it again.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: GTX 680 DCUII (Pretty much never goes over 50C, so it isn't overheating.)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz
PSU: Cooler Master 750W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
I also have a 64GB SSD with Windows on it, and a 2TB harddrive running in there as well.

Would appreciate any help!

UPDATE: After fiddlin' around a little bit, I now know the problem. My PC freezes whenever my processor goes up to (or close to) 100% load. This is REGARDLESS of CPU temperature, it just freezes.
Would still appreciate a solution! :)

Ronaldspiers

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Monitor your temperatures with realtemp. When idle and when "under load". If your CPU is overheating then you will probably need to reapply the thermal paste.
Try running prime 95 to monitor your temps under load.

FranzVrolijk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013

Thank you for the reply, but I am almost certain this is not the case. As mentioned, my GPU does not go over 50C. My CPU is cooled by closed water cooling, and as mentioned, I got it new (with thermal paste applied on the cooler) just a few weeks ago. I will check it out though.

Any other tips, if this is not the case?

EDIT: I tried to download Realtemp, but it only supports Intel CPU's apparently. Will try Prime 95.

Ronaldspiers

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
hmm I doubt it is the temperature then. The pre-applied paste on the H100i is pretty good.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html#directiontouse That should work with AMD CPUs for temp monitoring.

If heat isnt the problem it could be the power supply the RAM (they would be my first suspects anyway). Try running memtest86 again for a few cycles and see if anything is amiss.
As for the power supply if you perhaps have another one or can borrow one from a friend and see if that makes a difference.
beyond that i am not terribly sure. Perhaps maybe a loose SATA cable or something simple like that is the issue.

Sorry i cant be of more use mate, i'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of the members here. These are just the things I would personally try and check.

FranzVrolijk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013

Thanks for the reply!
Just before you answered, I updated the thread. It freezes whenever my CPU reaches 100% load, so no worries with RAM or loose cables ;)