Higher resolution or Higher FPS for better gaming experience?

JanTemplar

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Well, playing Metro: Last light is a thing on very high and 2X SSAA setting, I'm playing on 1600*900 resolutions and i get give or take, 50fps. Today i used another monitor with 1080p for playing that game on the same setting, i got 35fps. what I'm thinking is why people chose higher resolution over higher FPS? me, i prefer 1600*900 for 50fps, Is it same for you guys? I've kind of disappointed about my new gpu, 780 ti, i though i would handle this sort of settings better.

Solution
A good overclock will definitely push framerate high enough for that to be possible, unknown. I do not doubt the 290X's potential when stuck with something better than AMD's shoddy reference blower.

It's also nice to affirm that JanTemplar is meeting the same benchmarks with SSAO on Auto or off, which means his card is performing within reasonable expectations, so we can rule out the possibility he has a bad card or he has it plugged in wrong :)

JanTemplar - I would also agree with unknownofprob's recommendation to try a slight overclock on your 780Ti. Tom's Hardware posted that the card has tremendous OC potential without a worrisome amount of temperature increase, you could easily push yourself near the 60fps mark without running...
What? My R9 290X Windforce 3x OC Does way better then that. The GTX 780Ti should be doing better, much better. I play everything on the highest settings at 1080p, the R9 290X has never dropped an average of 70 fps on any game. I play BF4, GTR EVO, Test Drive, Crysis 3, Bioshack, Metro:last night and others.

The GTX 780 is supposed to be getting 60fps on 1080p...the 780Ti should be doing slightly better then that.
see:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650-16.html

JanTemplar

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
This is what I'm getting on this GPU, i don't know what's wrong, because i saw some benchmarks, gtx 780ti did better, this Is what I'm confused! do you guys use 2x ssaa?

wait, I Have it on 4x ssaa, and it still gets over 70fps, just tried it out and is smooth as it can be seen for me, something isn't right with your card or your driver. I was going to get the GTX 780Ti, after seeing reviews, it's GK110 pushed to the max whilst Hawaii is new technology. i plan to game on multi screens shortly and having the 4GBVram and wider bus was my ultimate decider.

-By the way, why don't you OC your GTX 780Ti, the OC capabilities are extreme on that card and it doesn't get that hot when it is done in a non-excessive way, the OC is much better then the R9 290X.

JanTemplar

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

there is no mention about ssaa! when if i turn that off, I'll get more than 70fps or, 1x, around 60fps

It technically is but it's hit and miss depending on the driver and such. The R9 290X does better in BF4 as frostbite 3 is AMD's software and that runs the game, AMD card's benefit a lot in that game.

My card get's just over the review done, so it should be tested at 4x ssaa, I do have the custom cooled model in uber mode so that can explain the higher fps over the one tested.

JanTemplar

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Equipment: CPU: core i7, 4770k, 3.5GHz and Cooler Silver Arrow SBE Extreme
Graphic card : Asus GTX 780 Ti
Motherboard : Asus Z87 Deluxe
Memory : 2*4 GB Vengeance DDR3, 2133
1600*900 resolution.
Is there anything else which is important?

If that's your rig, OC your GPU and update on how much better the FPS is. Your GTX 780Ti is seriously not doing as well as it should.