Man With His Head in the Cloud is Exactly What Microsoft Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

Dammit!! I had to keep catching myself from typing that the whole time.

CES leaves a scar, as you can now see. Thank you! Should be all fixed. :)

man, that title makes Satya seem like an airhead :pThat aside, I look forward to what Satya will bring, especially with Bill back in development (hopefully not rising win95 from the dead)

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I've earned quite the living by focusing on Server and Datacenter business. This guy comes from Server/Cloud. This is a big win for the future.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a tad scared that windows 10/11 (or what ever the next windows will be in a few years) will try to force feed us the Cloud like they have Metro. Personally I don't like the cloud at all and just see it as a security risk. I know its old fashion of me but still. On the other hand since this guy was leading there enterprise division that could spell some really good things for the more tech savvy costumers. Hopefully Bill Gates keeps them grounded enough not to allow another Windows 8 Metro slip up.

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
the cloud is the future. problem is it has been marketed like shit. and it is hard to do right. main problem being they are mainly a usa company and usa has shit for broadband which is a must for using the cloud properly. Playstation now and onlive were both cloud powered services. onlive took the first hit. ps now comes with hopefully a better understanding of the problems it must overcome. on top of that we have that nvidia grid. Cloud isn't bad and it isn't even subject to personal preference. The main problem is it is dam hard to do right with today's tech.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
If they would also leverage its advantage as a dominant OS provider, and focus on Cloud improvement, including its Skydrive, I would say they really are in a righ track. Maybe would also improve their share in the mobile phone space (Windows Phone, Nokia) by taking advantage of their capability and add-on features and value, like Skydrive.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Why do people have such an irrational fear of the cloud? "Tis witchcraft I tell thee, 'tis not computing unless I own thee hardware, thy software and thy storage?" "Burn the cloud, burn, buuuuuuurrrrnnn!!!"But cloud computing is so damn convenient. No worrying about backups, loss of data, easier to rollout, low investment in hardware. Dammit, if I lost my Android smartphone today I would lose zero data. All my songs, contact lists, messages, photos, notes, everything will be on my next phone just as long I log in with my Google ID. Cloud I love thee!

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
Why do people have such an irrational fear of the cloud? "Tis witchcraft I tell thee, 'tis not computing unless I own thee hardware, thy software and thy storage?" "Burn the cloud, burn, buuuuuuurrrrnnn!!!"But cloud computing is so damn convenient. No worrying about backups, loss of data, easier to rollout, low investment in hardware. Dammit, if I lost my Android smartphone today I would lose zero data. All my songs, contact lists, messages, photos, notes, everything will be on my next phone just as long I log in with my Google ID. Cloud I love thee!
If they made Cloud operate like a network hard drive, then I agree it would be great, but when they integrate it as a mandatory element for any and all functionality, then no, it's not a good way to go.

tableholder

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

Dude, cloud computing vs cloud storage are two different things. Cloud computing means you are using a collective computing power to do your task without having to have your own dedicated powerful hardware, think of cloud gaming.

Cloud storage is the one to avoid. It basically says what it offers, it stores your data away from you, putting it in the hands of someone else.

What i do hate to think is that future versions of windows might have the audacity to force us to use MS's cloud storage shit. I hate to see MS's become another chrome OS like. But i would not mind if they would offer cloud compute... along with the OS for free.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
It would be nice if they actually focused on supporting their products. I'm getting sick of people calling me because Microsoft tech support won't help them with something as simple as importing a .pst file into outlook.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
If the move to cloud computing (AKA using dedicated hardware to take the place of personal hardware) meant a MASSIVE leap in both connection speed/quality for the USA I would be ok with that even though I would definately miss owning my own hardware.I jus see the "future" being used as a way to milk the sheep dry of their hard earned money every month. So instead of owning your own hardware you now pay some rediculous fee for the privelage to "rent" cpu power. Similiar to how the cable companies charge you to rent set top boxes only alot more expensive.In the end you would have payed for the hardware 3x over.

Status
Not open for further replies.