Free image hosting site

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I am not sure where this post suppose to be, so if moderators think that it is belong to another section, just let me know and I will delete this one, or feel free to move this post (if this is possible).

As a title sounds - I am looking for free image hosting site to post images here (mostly). I had until now imageshack, but it is about to close free service (in 2 days I think), so I am looking for an alternative.

Every time I think I find one , I am finding some bad things about it, and so on.

So those are simple questions to be answered or considered.

Name of hosting website.

1. Time kept before deletion without views. For an example: Imgur 6 months, Tinypic 1.5 months, Photobucket infinite (looks very good to me).

2. Maximum capacity - imageshack had free 2 GB (before). I have currently only 56 pictures on imageshack, but who knows, maybe I will need more.

3. Upload size before compression(loss of quality) or resizing - Imgur 1 MB (none of my pictures are close to 1 MB), Tinypic and Photobucket both automatically compressing pictures, loosing quality, imageshack was resizing, not so bad for posting pictures, Imgur wins here.

4. Copyrighted material posting, or maybe I am not correct here. Example: I got the picture from Google search with someone else trademark and would like to have it handy close by. Imageshack did not care much, some do, so any thoughts in this area are appreciated.

5. Ease of use, functionality.

I think I covered all major aspects, if I missed, feel free to add.

So, I am looking for suggestions ln this or similar format.

Imageshack
1. Infinite, but it is visible only 23 hours a day only (this is how it was worded, not sure what it means).
2. 2GB
3. Resizing.
4. Don't care much (imageshack), or specific rules, or very restricted, and so on.
5. Simple. If there are some special pros, please share.

Any suggestions very appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and shared knowledge and experience.

randomizer

Champion
I'm surprised you've managed to survive with Imageshack all this time :lol:

I've used photobucket for years, and the only reason I'm still using it is because I'm already using it. It gets progressively worse with each "refresh". There are plenty of new gimmicks added to the increasingly clumsy interface, but glaring oversights don't get addressed. I have 750-odd images and I sometimes have to upload the same one multiple times because I can't find the original. Want to search your album? Sorry, just sort it instead. :sarcastic: The image compression is annoying too. The direct URL used to point to the original image (which was uncompressed unless it was huge), but to my knowledge there is no longer any way to hotlink an unadulterated image. You can still download the original from your album though.

I haven't used Imgur myself, but it has been recommended to me as a replacement service.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Imgur fan here. It's pretty extensive in terms of features, and has a magnificent upload function which gives you the code you need to just copy/paste image embeds into forums like this one. :)

Good luck in your hunt!
-JP

Thanks both for replies.

Question to jpishgar:

1. Time kept before deletion without views. For an example: Imgur 6 months, Tinypic 1.5 months, Photobucket infinite (looks very good to me).

Have any of your images got deleted over time due to this rule?
This is the only limitation to Imgur from me.

Another question regarding copyrighted material.

Look at the picture of Inspiron 570 motherboard from Impact Computers site:

impactcomputersmiami_2269_1441961683

Is this considered copyrighted and as such can not be uploaded to Imgur and the rest of image hosting sites.

What can be done here, since at times it is necessary to modify a picture to explain certain things?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I actually wasn't aware of the time limitation on the subject of Views, so I couldn't comment from an educated perspective there. It hasn't been a problem for me, but it might very well be at some point.

As for the second item, I'd say, that'd be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.