GPU is Bottleneck? Thinking of GTX 770 upgrade

strife025

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I built my computer about 3 years ago, and lately I've been getting lackluster fps in some of the newer games. Based on my system I'm thinking that it's my GPU, and looking at benchmarks it looks like the GTX 770 is a pretty decent upgrade. Usually I only build/upgrade computers when I'm not happy with the performance anymore, which has been happening lately. Don't think I need a full on new build, but hoping people have some advice since I don't really keep up with everything :x

Generally looking to spend in the $300 range and not more than $400, I've had an ATI for my past 3 cards but because of bitcoin mining it seems ATI prices are kind of inflated right now. Also generally not that happy with the 6950 which was actually an RMA under warranty for the card I bought with my build (5870).

My Current system is:
i7-930 @ 3.9 ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 triple channel ram
Radeon 6950 (flashed to 6970)
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R mobo
Antec 750w Earthwatts mod-PSU

Based on the above would I be correct that the bottleneck would be GPU and a GTX770 wouldn't bottleneck my CPU? I'm not sure how much better the current gen of i7s are compared to the overclocked 930?

And generally for the $300ish range it seems like the GTX770 is the only option, worth it to go 4gb over 2gb as well? Also just to be safe, my PSU is fine correct?

Thanks for the advice!

clayofthe757

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
You have exactly the right idea. No bottleneck at the top end. Get yourself a GTX 770 2Gig (OC'd by the manufacturer, and therefore under warranty) with a reliable cooling system. Things will be tip top then.

TRENDING THREADS